• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

nitrate and PO4 filter idea

i am its a turf scrubber i dont use a skimmer on my tanks.the tank with the scrubber is a 90 gal.with a 30 gal.plumbed 2gether.kind of overstocked mixed reef with about20 or so fish..i use the 5 gal.bucket way for now.there is a lot of info out there on them some love em others hate em.....i hate skimmers so i gave this a try working 4 me

I use a small one I made on my 29 gal with a 10 gal mixed reef...
I still use a skimmer though....
Very Simple and easy to my and maintain...

switch,
with 90 gallon tank, how large is your algae screen?

I am thinking of built a small one for my 180 gallon tank to run parallel with my skimmer but I do not know how to start this thing. it looks like the water fall effect is quite hard if I cut the screen slot too big. if too small there will not be enough of water flow.
any suggest on this?
Olivier

old thread i know - and I admit i am one of the naysayers. I think cheato is far more efficient for exporting nutrients in combo with a good skimmer.

But I will admit that in this hobby there are many ways to get there - so if it works for you - post up pics!

have to find my camera think i have pics on my computer will look.it fits in a 5 gallonn bucket lol i will mesure it it is lit on both side to give me more growth.

cant post pics the file is like 168kb small enuff???? i get this error

The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.

Switch, you say you don't run a skimmer. Do you run carbon? I've read were the water can get a yellow tint when using an algae scrubber. I'm currently working on one myself.

a small bag not nearly enuff for the 90 gal.the yellow i heard was from not moving the screen out to clean it.then some goes in the tank making it yellow just clean the screen in a bath tub what i used 2 do.now i use a wet dry vac and just suck it clean lol..been working great have not used a skimmer in at least 4 months or so.

I would love to see pics of your AS. HMMMMM that doesn't sound/look right. You can put it up on photobucket.com. If not please email it to me if you don't mind.

SWITCH420 said:
a small bag not nearly enuff for the 90 gal.the yellow i heard was from not moving the screen out to clean it.then some goes in the tank making it yellow just clean the screen in a bath tub what i used 2 do.now i use a wet dry vac and just suck it clean lol..been working great have not used a skimmer in at least 4 months or so.
lol - oooo the dirty evil eye i would get if I brought fish stuff into the bathtub!!!

I just made a DIY Turf Algae Scrubber this week & after 4 days I'm growing algae on it & my nitrates & phosphates are dropping! Stumbled across it online & had to give it a try in my 150 gallon reef tank. Will keep you updated on the progress!

i also run an algae scrubber. works awesome plus i also run a small protein skimmer. water quality is at or near perfect. i clean the screen once a week, just wash it off and put it back on. my larger system i have been working on i will be using a 30 gal tall tank on a return line for a scrubber with lighting grid for the screen backed by a piece of lexan behind it to slow the water. my friend has one like the one im building and man does it pull out the stuff like mad. some say there no good, some say a protein skimmer only, everyone has there own way and its up to us to find what works best to keep good water quality.