• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Nitrate ?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
The tank has a very shallow sand bed, doesn't even cover the entire bottom. The pumps pushed most out from the front of the tank along with some fish fanning it away. I would guess 20/30lbs max.

You might explore an algal Turf Scrubber. I'm going to be experimenting with one of these for my new 72. They can be cheaply and easily made. If it doesn't work, chuck it out. Supposedly, if properly set up and maintained, one of these can significantly reduce Nitrates.

I don't know if it's sh** or shinola, but, I'm going to give it a shot. A number of people are trying this right now.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ver-replaces-skimmer-refugium-everything.html

i read about that thread...(there's an identical one on MD and RC) by the same person. Jury is still out on this in my opinion. I'm more curious what some of the long-time reefers think since scrubbers were first seen as the mecca of nitrate control - but that was before skimmers - real efficient skimmers, were invented.

I'd try switching the bulb over my cheato (and hopefully get better growth) to help export nitrates. Also definitely start using RODI (whenever you figure out that thing!). I still have to figure out mine! lol.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
The idea of scrubbers sounds good. I am leary about ripping things out when the scrubber isn't really available; probably take some to grow and be useful.
Phil, bet you figure out your RO before I do and your tank isn't even up yet. LOL
I'll stick with water changes for now and use some Nitrasorb.
Chaos, would be great if you kept a separate post with this so everyone could get some first hand info.

One thing, the skimmer you have, I have NEVER seen a kind word written about the Berlin Skimmers. I bought one used without a pump and finally decided not to bother with it after all the terrible things I read.

That bioload really is not that heavy if he is doing regular water changes, has a good rock, good skimmer, and is not overfeeding.
My 90 gal sps/lps tank has: potters angel, goldflake angel, sailfin tang, yellow tang, maroon clown, mandarin, and 5 lyretail anthias. the tank is setup two years this month. using a Salifert test kit I have no color change whatsoever for nitrate or phosphate. As the original poster his opinion of the tank as he saw it a few weeks ago.
Ken