• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Nitrates

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
How do you raise your nitrates? I was reading on R2R to use Spectracide Stump remover. :eek: I would have a difficult time pouring something used on tree trunks in my tank. Any ideas? Would you use Spectracide? My nitrates have been at .02 with Salifert.

Salinity 35ppt
temp 79
PH 8
Mg 1380
Ca 420
KH 8
PO4 .02
No3 .02

I buy lab grade KNO3 which is what the stump remover is. I just trust getting it pure over something much less regulated (I had the same reaction to "place stump remover in reef and walk away"). Lots of people use stump remover to heat effect, though.

The good thing about this method versus increased feeding is it allows for increasing nitrates specifically; without any increase in other nutrients that you would otherwise prefer not to add (i.e. phosphorous) (you will be adding potassium as well, but in a small quantity and arguably to a benefit as it is a trace element present in small quantities on reefs)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I started dosing nitrates and it's a game changer. I've never had a tank this efficient at dealing with nutrients and I am not the type to pack my tank with fish either. I started with NeoNitro by brightwell but will be grabbing lab grade KNO3 once thats used up. start slow and make sure you have PO4 in the system, introduction of NO3 will cause a slight reduction in PO4, last thing you want is to piss off corals with a rapid reduction of PO4.

I am also using the spectracide with good results. I mix 12.5 grams with RODI in a 1.25liter bottle and dose with that.

to what levels are you guys taking your nitrates? I am dosing to 5 and 10 ppm. I was surprised to see WWC letting there tanks go to 20 and feeding hourly.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
to what levels are you guys taking your nitrates? I am dosing to 5 and 10 ppm. I was surprised to see WWC letting there tanks go to 20 and feeding hourly.

That is insane what WWC does! I am interested too in know where everyone's levels are around. I ordered KNO3 and waiting for it in snail-mail. I used Spectracide yesterday afternoon. I kept staring at my tank waiting for something bad to happened. All is fine so far.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
what would you guys say is a good nitrates level mine doesnt go under 10-20 at all usually around that range few times it goes alittle higher than i just water change

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
NO3 currently at .02 ppm and want 7 - 8 ppm
PO4 currently at .02 ppm and want to keep it between .02 - .10

That is insane! I am interested too in know where everyone's levels are around. I ordered KNO3 and waiting for it in snail-mail. I used Spectracide yesterday afternoon. I kept stareing at my tank waiting for something bad to happened. All is fine so far.
I used spectracide for over a year with no problems.

When I started dosing nitrates I had to dose every day then after a while it was every other day. Then it was like once a week after it builds up in your system

I am dosing just a little now every week or 2. I am staying at 5 to 10 with good results. Phosphates just barely detectable.