• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Noob to salwater tank

Hi Everyone,

I recently started a saltwater tank for the first time.Right now i have a 75 gallon tank.I have 2 clarkii clownfish ,2 cleaner shrimp and a yellow tang.I have about 40 lbs of dry rock.I am trying to find a good LFS with some live reef rock in the nj area.

south plainfield.........Actually i meant live rock other than live real reef rock.I went to ocean gallery 2 and all i saw was the live real reef rock.I am not sure if they carry other live rock maybe i will pay another visit.Any other good LFS in the area . I am trying to get corralline algae in my tank

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
I would hold off on adding live rock to an established tank with live stock already in it. You could irreverently start another cycle and that can be deadly to your existing livestock. If anything maybe add 1 tiny piece of LR from someones tank that has coraline algae on it to seed your tank. As long as your parameters are good the coraline will spread and you'll wonder why you wanted it in the first place :)

Very true

AND

You could end up with dark colored coralline in the display which is not noticeable and bring pink coralline in the sump!!!! like me

I would hold off on adding live rock to an established tank with live stock already in it. You could irreverently start another cycle and that can be deadly to your existing livestock. If anything maybe add 1 tiny piece of LR from someones tank that has coraline algae on it to seed your tank. As long as your parameters are good the coraline will spread and you'll wonder why you wanted it in the first place :)

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You are not to far from me, I can give you some Coraline to seed your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true

AND

You could end up with dark colored coralline in the display which is not noticeable and bring pink coralline in the sump!!!! like me

Actually I have a 30 gallon tank I was gonna keep the live rock in there and cure it if needed. Since I don't have much in the tank I wanted to change the sand from black argronite to like Fiji pink since its being moved from basement to 2nf floor

+1 seems to grow everywhere you don't want it, the last time I scraped it off the glass I scratched my tank.

Karenvas2

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome to the club. As you can see, great folks here with good advice. I am in Highland Park. Try Aquatic Obsessions for all your needs. Will is great.