• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Nova Extreme T - 5 lights- help

hey everyone....I have to order the lights and I am strongly considering the Nova Extreme T-5 with lunar lights....question is, which one do I really need? I have the standard 55 gallon non reef ready aquarium, so it is only like a foot wide...I have two options in the 48" length

216 watt (four 54 watt with 4 lunar lights) 460nm actinic and 10000K T-5 lighs

or the 432 watt which has 8 of the 54 watt and the lunar lights

I don't want to be limited in the tank, but don't want to pay the extra 180 or so if I don't really have too...remember, startin out in the hobby, I can always upgrade later

thanks!

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I would go with the 8 lamp. I had my 55 for like a week and was ready to upgrade. I also recommend at least two ATI blue Plus or Giesman Atinic plus. Either one will make corals glow.

Your gonna want to get the 8 buld fixture. I had the 4 bulb on my 55 and I was limited with the coral I could put in the tank. 55 gallon tanks are hard to make reef tanks out of, the depth makes them hard to aquascape and it really forces you to get a very a powerful light.

Steve

my only question is this, what is the difference in widths? would the 8 bulb fixture leave enough room to work in the tank without having to take the lights off?

REEFLECTIONS said:
my only question is this, what is the difference in widths? would the 8 bulb fixture leave enough room to work in the tank without having to take the lights off?

Unless it's built into the hood or you choose to hang it, probably not.

I'm anticipating that I will have to take the lights off the tank to do any sort of work in it, maybe even to simply feed the fish....I dont' want to suspend them from the ceiling....and as much as I know that I will wnat to upgrade this tank, I know that I can't....first, I don't want to deal with the hassle of my partner and second, I own a second floor condo...I'm alread nervous about putting in the 55 gallon...I would never consider something bigger and chance that weight on the floor or the potential of a bigger flood into the downstairs apartment....if disaster strikes, I can't just easily move

My brother recommended that I go with the 8 bulb set up....and some others on here have recommended the 8 bulb...so, that seems to be the way to go....as I'm already limited and having to stick iwht 55 gallons, I don't want to be limited in what I can keep in there too.....however, if I can get away with the 4 bulbs, I figure, why not?....anyone else have any opinions?

yes, it does come with legs on each end that are supposed to sit on the lip of the tank...but, it doesnt' show a picture of it flipped open....do they do that?....so I can flip it up and out of the way to access the tank?...

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We have a 4 light fixture over a 65 soon to be 90 tank (18" front to back). It is enough light for the lowlight stuff, but it isn't enough for any high end SPS, clams, etc. So enough for a broad range of things (caps, digi, shrooms, etc), but not enough for torts, crayolas, clams, etc.