• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

November Meeting: Home of mnat and NikkiT

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Greeting all!!!

We are excited to once again open our home to fellow reefers out there for a monthly gathering of NJRC people. Let's go over the nitty gritty:

Who: Us and hopefully you
What: NJRC monthly meeting
When: November 23rd (the weekend before Thanksgiving) 1-5 pm
Where: Our place: 1104 Barton Ave Point Pleasant NJ 08742
Why: To talk to like minded geeks about our hobby

Bio (Best read with a Brithish accent in your head or with the voice of Morgan Freeman (or professor Hubert J Farnsworth if you prefer that)):

Our long strange journey in saltwater came around many years ago when a young Nikki was raised in the Middle East (Abu Dabbi to be specific). After spending many years snorkeling around in the Persian Gulf, she decided when she moved home in 1991 that she wanted to keep saltwater fish. She setup her first tank in 1995 and of course caught the addiction. Nikki later left for Bucknell and donated most of her fish to a local high school. She kept the fire alive with small freshwater tanks and biding her time to return to saltwater. Around this time she met an incredibly handsome college man named Mike and a relationship was born. During her time at law school Nikki setup a freshwater tank which Mike had no interest in. One day she decided to switch gravels which killed everything in her tank, fed up she made the switch back to saltwater with a 20g tall tank. At this magical time Mike became addicted immediately. Many evenings were spent discussing setting up bigger tanks and what we were going to stock. Mike eventually setup his first tank in 2008 which was a 10g and that was all she wrote.

After doing a lot of research online we were drawn to NJRC almost as if by fate. Nikki became involved in the MACNA planning back in 2009 and we were pulled right in. We have really enjoyed the advice and friendships we have made on here and love to host meetings.

Our current stystem is a 205g display tank with about 200g in the basement. Come and check it all out.

So please come on down (or up depending on where you are located) and spend a day at us in our new home. We are about 25 mins from both Tropiquarium and Aquarium Care Center. Also Aqua Oceans is about maybe 20 mins away but in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Hardy har har, it was when I was a Sophmore in college so a lot can change.

Why don't you say it to my face at the meeting, no seriously come down we miss you guys and the cats are so much bigger now. You, CJ, and Jane should make the trip and we will convince you to setup tanks again. It will be fun for the whole family and we will serve punch and pie (beer and pizza).

howze01

NJRC Member
I do miss my cats.... I tend to be working Saturdays now and so is Cj but I will mention it to him. I am setting up a tank. Bought a 150g (4'x2'x30") and am setting it up as a planted freshwater tank. Taking much longer than expected but it's in the works. Will let you guys know as it gets closer if we can make it.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Less than a week to go, it was nice seeing you guys at DVRC, now come on up for a meeting.

Is there a raffle? Ive got some zoas that arent making it to the rockwork that I can donate, and Ive got some loose polyps that kyle already has too. If there isnt, ill just throw it up on the free chain thing.

Sorry to hear that relationship didn't work out Nikki. When did you and the current Mike meet? ;)
I thought Nikki abandoned Mike and went on her trip to red sea to find better coral. Mike cried for months until he changed to a nice strong, tall and solid SPS guy that lure her back. He sure learned the Maroon Clown fish technique that Nikki is running the show.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Is there a raffle? Ive got some zoas that arent making it to the rockwork that I can donate, and Ive got some loose polyps that kyle already has too. If there isnt, ill just throw it up on the free chain thing.

Yes, there will be a raffle. That would be great if you brought some donation frags for it Jing. Thanks!