• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Nudibranches

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Just saw this tonight when the blues came on- any idea what it is

Attachments

• 20220316_213654 (2).jpg
    20220316_213654 (2).jpg
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220316_213654.jpg
    20220316_213654.jpg
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 41
Wow! Pretty cool looking. Looks like a nudibranch to me. What color is it?
There are many kinds, some eat algae and are great cleanup crew, others eat zoas or other coral so are undesirable. Keep an eye on your coral for any signs they’re being snacked on. I had some Zoa-eating ones that hitchhiked into my tank that were smaller; a yellow coris wrasse cleaned them out quickly. First I saw one it was in middle of a zoa colony and I watched it munching on them...freaked me out.
Hope this is one of the good guys!

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Wow! Pretty cool looking. Looks like a nudibranch to me. What color is it?
There are many kinds, some eat algae and are great cleanup crew, others eat zoas or other coral so are undesirable. Keep an eye on your coral for any signs they’re being snacked on. I had some Zoa-eating ones that hitchhiked into my tank that were smaller; a yellow coris wrasse cleaned them out quickly. First I saw one it was in middle of a zoa colony and I watched it munching on them...freaked me out.
Hope this is one of the good guys!
A nudi was my first thought- it's about an inch or so and whitish- I caught it and put it in a mesh bag overnight- not sure if it survived or got out. I took a look at the link you gave- doesn't quite look like any of them- has antennae . when I caught it, it was crawling on rock-looked like it was eating algae

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I posted the pic on a few FB group pages- all agree that is some kind of nudi- all say kill it. That's something I don't get about some people and this hobby- they want to kill all bristle worms, asterina stars, nudis-they buy 'life rock' not live rock, start a tank with sterile substrate, want to buy 'clean' chaeto. I'm more of a gambling man ( except with money ) I love diversity. I've had bristle worms and asterinas in my tanks for 2 years- neither population has exploded- the bristle worms never killed anything, I also have sponges and spirorbid worms. Sometimes I wonder about aptasia and vermetid snails- would they really take over and destroy a tank- I'm just not ready to experiment and take that risk yet lol

Last edited:
The immediate fear comes when you imagine one of those hitchhikers munching away at you expensive pieces haha

I have bubble algae, vermetids, bristle worms, asterina…but I saw a nudi I eating my coral so removes it and put in a natural predator. Would hate to ever see aiptasia. Some things are known to be harmful….to me those aren’t worth the gamble. I added a falco hawkfish a few years back and my skunk cleaner lost that gamble…

Salted

NJRC Member
I posted the pic on a few FB group pages- all agree that is some kind of nudi- all say kill it.
I'm at the point where I'd want to confirm exactly what it is and then decide. I have a similar tank philosophy, bristle worms are great cuc and I pick asterina stars off the glass as I see them to keep them under control and let the rest be.

White-crusted Aeolid nudi looks like it. Can’t find what they eat. Let us know if you keep them is any coral are suffering and which ones. Good luck.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
that look cool!! if you don't want it, ill take it!

DYIguy

NJRC Member
White-crusted Aeolid nudi looks like it. Can’t find what they eat. Let us know if you keep them is any coral are suffering and which ones. Good luck.
Yeah, looks like one- either a Cuthona or Trinchesea Albocrusta. Not much info out there on it, one article said it eats aptasia, my corals all look fine, I may never see it again unless I stay up late- a night crawler- time will tell

Salted

NJRC Member
Yeah, looks like one- either a Cuthona or Trinchesea Albocrusta. Not much info out there on it, one article said it eats aptasia, my corals all look fine, I may never see it again unless I stay up late- a night crawler- time will tell
Get yourself a flashlight with a red lens. Then you can watch stuff at night without disturbing it. It’s really the only time I see my coral banded shrimp.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Get yourself a flashlight with a red lens. Then you can watch stuff at night without disturbing it. It’s really the only time I see my coral banded shrimp.
One reason I don't have a coral banded or other things that only come out at night- I'm in bed asleep- or trying- but a red light would be good to have for checking in between night bathroom runs lol

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Now you got me thinking. I guess fish etc don't see red light, but it's good enough to watch/see things after dark. So, why doesn't someone make a red led light bar- or does it already exist

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
radions have a mode where you can have all red LEDS to see at night. I have one of my scenes set as that

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I haven't seen it since the first week, just took this pic of it on one of my orange shrooms I got from @amado - the mushroom is/was about the size of a quarter, an hour later the mushroom looks fine. I have a melanurus wrasse in the tank and it ignored it

Attachments

• nudi.jpg
    nudi.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 10

erics210

NJRC Member
I have bubble algae, vermetids, bristle worms, asterina…but I saw a nudi I eating my coral so removes it and put in a natural predator. Would hate to ever see aiptasia. Some things are known to be harmful….to me those aren’t worth the gamble. I added a falco hawkfish a few years back and my skunk cleaner lost that gamble…
Aiptasia not the end of the world. Montipora eating nudibranch waaay worse.