• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ocean revives or SB reef lights?

I’m looking for some lights not sure which of the two are the better option for coral growth and color.. any one have any of these lights they can comment on? Thanks in advance

I have some Ocean revives S026 that the Blue channel crapped out (on 1 of 2) at about 3 months old. They wanted me to take it apart and swap parts with the other unit to see if the driver was bad.
Why don't you just send me a new one??? I didn't care for the cust service. They are still in my basement. I'll get around to messing with them at some point.
They had a nice color and plenty of output.

I think all of them will grow coral. Viper Spectra, Mars Aqua, ETC. Its a matter of who stands behind them the best.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Never owned either but have heard good things across the board for ORs. Saw a shop a few years back with nothing but ORs over the tanks. I'm running Hydras atm, but I'm considering plumbing in a fragger with the OR247 over it.

Per Versys - customer service...
Here's what I do (seriously) when I'm buying a higher end product and am debating.
I call/email the customer service to see who answers quickest, who's most polite, etc...

Last edited:
Here's what I do (seriously) when I'm buying a higher end product and am debating.
I call/email the customer service to see who answers quickest, who's most polite, etc...

That's fine advice.
I am more than capable of diagnosing it, and they were willing to send a driver if that was the issue. I just didn't want to spend the time to do it.
New product. I expected to have to send it back or exchange it. I guess it rubbed me wrong at the time.

Y
I have some Ocean revives S026 that the Blue channel crapped out (on 1 of 2) at about 3 months old. They wanted me to take it apart and swap parts with the other unit to see if the driver was bad.
Why don't you just send me a new one??? I didn't care for the cust service. They are still in my basement. I'll get around to messing with them at some point.
They had a nice color and plenty of output.

I think all of them will grow coral. Viper Spectra, Mars Aqua, ETC. Its a matter of who stands behind them the best.
I would be the same way just send me a new one and take this one back..is it true for the OR once the program turns the light off u any manually turn it back on?

falconut

NJRC Member
I've been using 2 of the OR S026 lights for years. The blue LEDs did die after 3 or so years on 1. I asked their customer service if they sold the LEDs but they didn't, since I had the older model. They did send me the lighting chart, so i bought then off ebay & watched a video and replaced them. Working fine again. It's got to be at least 5 years + on them, 1 driver just failed on 1 unit. So eventually I have to figure out what driver I need & replace it. In the mean time I have an OR t245 to replace it. I like the color of them & they grew corals with no issues back when I had a reef, now I'm just doing a FOWLR. My experience has been pleasant with these affordable lights, no experience with the other.

I couldn't remember. I just went and plugged one in. Has CL1 on and CL2 off. Clock 1 on and 2 off. I was pretty sure they went on and off or I wouldn't have bought them. (Pre Apex)
Mine are also 3 years old or so.

I
I couldn't remember. I just went and plugged one in. Has CL1 on and CL2 off. Clock 1 on and 2 off. I was pretty sure they went on and off or I wouldn't have bought them. (Pre Apex)
I have a buddy who couldn’t figure out how to turn them back on after the scheduled shut off time.. that’s kinda scaring me off not having that control to manually turn them on if I need to

I've been using 2 of the OR S026 lights for years. The blue LEDs did die after 3 or so years on 1. I asked their customer service if they sold the LEDs but they didn't, since I had the older model. They did send me the lighting chart, so i bought then off ebay & watched a video and replaced them. Working fine again. It's got to be at least 5 years + on them, 1 driver just failed on 1 unit. So eventually I have to figure out what driver I need & replace it. In the mean time I have an OR t245 to replace it. I like the color of them & they grew corals with no issues back when I had a reef, now I'm just doing a FOWLR. My experience has been pleasant with these affordable lights, no experience with the other.
I have some black boxes that I’m thinking of getting some SB reef boards and replacing the originals with them.. I hear a lot of folks love the light spectrum SB uses.. plus it’s a cheaper way of getting better leds than the ones I currently have they’re only $69 for new boards

I control my t-5s. With “Alexa” if you own one of those is a simple way to control them plus you have the added benefit of using voice commands and setting schedules