• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Oceanarium Shutdown?

Hello,
Just checking on Oceanarium. I was told they were shut down a week ago. From what I was told, the sherriff went in and locked the doors. They're in trouble for tax ivasion and stealing from customers (customers gave them a credit card and they over chared).

Can anyone confrim?
If so, sorry to hear.. Good quality stuff.

They had a grand opening on the 14th because they changed hands. There are new people who own it now and they are calling it sea something or other. We were at the grand opening but they were still getting new stuff added. I haven't been in there since the 14th so I dont know if maybe these people have closed or not?

They changed the name around and redecorated the place a little because of a bad reputation. Its the same owners.. dont be fooled.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
MarlboroReef said:
Hello,
Just checking on Oceanarium. I was told they were shut down a week ago. From what I was told, the sherriff went in and locked the doors. They're in trouble for tax ivasion and stealing from customers (customers gave them a credit card and they over chared).

Can anyone confrim?
If so, sorry to hear.. Good quality stuff.

I'm curious as to what is going on with them as well, but if you are from Marlboro, you must be pretty close to the store...considering it's in Marlboro...no?

I go there for water and water only. The 2 times that I delt with that strange character (Vlad, I think his name was) they alway had problems with taking credit cards. They told me to leave my number and they'll just charge me when the system is back up. Both times I asked for a hand written receipt of the transaction and Vlad kept trying to assure me that "it was cool" but I insisted. I had a bad feeling about this and with good reason. A friend of mine did the same thing and he was overcharged a few times. I quickly lost trust in that place and go there for water and nothing more. Even now that they have changed their name I'm still cautious about dealing with them. My advise is to know the prices of items before you walk into the store. From what I remember, they grossly overprice everything. It's a shame that there are no stores closer to me.

holly crap, i didnt know that about them, russian owners and mostly everyone who works there.

i was there 2 weeks ago, place looked kind of empty, but open. same people still work there.

It is now SeaAquarium tel #732 536 6626

New owner is Robert Tunit.

Their Stock is good if ytou get to it before itr stays in their system too long - prices are negotiable and MUST be negotiated - don't buy at sticker price.. I got some grat acans there at about half the price of Dr Foster's

They have rare fish every now and then - again - get to them before they "age"

It is what it is - also would not buy dry goods unless you can get a deal on a used piece of equipment

I did win their grand opening drawing prize (I was the only person that showed up!! for the drawing - that's what happens when you have a drawing at 8PM on a Wednesday night - I won a 55 gallon reef ready tank, stand, canopy

Chris-Colt (a.k.a - "Wrasse-Man")

I stopped by on a Friday after spotting the "New/Grand Opening" sign as I was driving past. My first impression was an unfavorable one. Although the display reef tank was impressive overall, ie. crystal clear water containing a good variety of healthy corals, the livestock (both corals and fish) in the rest of the shop was virtually non-existent. And what was there was not in the best shape. This on a Friday afternoon! (Note: there were a few Sohal Tangs which were not unreasonbly priced).

My negative impression was reinforced by a scarcity of dry goods of any kind. (There was a 50% off sale on the few Kent Marine items on the shelf). It is possible that this store may just want to focus on livestock in a way that Underwater World in Roselle Park, NJ has been doing successfully for years and then supplement this with a maintenence business. I don't know.

However, the kicker for me was when I was told that they were expecting a big shipment the next day (Saturday). I asked where from (Indo., Carib., Red Sea, Australia etc.?) and was told from "all these places". I then asked whether they were coming from a wholesaler or transhipper.(It makes a difference to me as a retail customer). Increduously, I was told that they were all coming "directly from collectors". While remotely possible, the logistics of such a purchase make it highly improbable that the livestock came directly from collectors. Unfortunately, I couldn't go by the next day to see what came in.(I don't live nearby)

I probably will visit the store again, but only if I happen to be in the neighborhood. I will do this only because their display reef indicates that there is someone there who knows what he/she is doing and maybe it's not the person I spoke with initially.

There is really only one person there who knows what they are talking about (forget his name but he is the thinner of the 2 guys who are always there) - they are somewhat evasive when the types of questions you asked are asked - does raise some suspicion - and he is the only person who really knows what the scientific names are - but this does sometimes work to our advantage - (not that I look to take advantage but they need to be responsible for what they sell) I picked up Acans that the one heavier guy swore were open brain corals - I got them for $40 for a very large colony (6 to 7 inches across) - now the price may have been the same regardless of what he calls the coral - I also did pick up a gorgeous Blue Spotted Jawfish for $75 which is about 1/2 price - but they did know what that was... If you get there when they receive their shipments you area almost guaranteed a "fresh from the collector" fish/coral - you run the chance of shipping ailments but it is worth the risk as compared to letting them hold onto the item because their holding tanks are not maintained at top quality - they tend to overstock their coral tanks and make them touch each other (polyps touching leathers, Acans touching acros, etc... putting 1/2 dozen male wrasses of the same species in a 20 gallon tank so they tear each other apart or putting new stock into the same small holding tank as acclimated stock passing disease and parasites - - stupid things that hurt the livestock - their method is quick sales and turnover - again - I rather work this and get a good price for a rare / uncommon fish/coral knowing the risk - rather than pay top dollar to an LFS that has the greatest systems but can't move inventory so they have limited choice, common pieces at top dollar, but healthy... who wants to pay $50 for a really healthy Percula clown that he hasn't moved in 6 months? - I rather pay $15 for a fish that just shipped from Fiji that is a rare lot or common but inexpensive - it would take 3 of them croaking to make up for the overpriced healthy item - that is just me though - when I first got into this hobby - I was a lot more cautious and paid the premium for a healthy fish because I lost so many due to my own inexperience and poor water quality, overfeeding, over stocking and too much with my hands in the tank...... Today - I know how to nurse a coral or fish back top health without jeopardizing my main system (isolation, treatment, patience) - there is something grand about a retailer that takes good care of his stock - ideally if only we can have both (great prices, great selection and great systems) but that just doesn't seem to exist very often..

chriscolt said:
If you get there when they receive their shipments you area almost guaranteed a "fresh from the collector" fish/coral - you run the chance of shipping ailments but it is worth the risk as compared to letting them hold onto the item because their holding tanks are not maintained at top quality - they tend to overstock their coral tanks and make them touch each other (polyps touching leathers, Acans touching acros, etc... putting 1/2 dozen male wrasses of the same species in a 20 gallon tank so they tear each other apart or putting new stock into the same small holding tank as acclimated stock passing disease and parasites - - stupid things that hurt the livestock - their method is quick sales and turnover - again - I rather work this and get a good price for a rare / uncommon fish/coral knowing the risk - rather than pay top dollar to an LFS that has the greatest systems but can't move inventory so they have limited choice, common pieces at top dollar, but healthy... who wants to pay $50 for a really healthy Percula clown that he hasn't moved in 6 months? - I rather pay $15 for a fish that just shipped from Fiji that is a rare lot or common but inexpensive - it would take 3 of them croaking to make up for the overpriced healthy item - that is just me though -

I object! :eek:

That's the same attitude that allowed collectors to get away with using cyanide and dynamite.

We have a responsibility to the animals we choose to keep in captivity. I'd rather pay a bit more for a fish or coral that is handled responsibly. And basically, one of the purposes of this club is to educate reefkeepers to behave responsibly.

blange3 said:
We have a responsibility to the animals we choose to keep in captivity. I'd rather pay a bit more for a fish or coral that is handled responsibly. And basically, one of the purposes of this club is to educate reefkeepers to behave responsibly.

Agree.

Didn't say they used dynamite or cyanide - I said they do not invest in a lot of in store equipment to maintain fish for months on end because they can't move stock - it is a method - like it or not - that some of these guys use - I don't approve or disapprove - I can;t change the way they do business - all I am saying is that if you buy from them - get to it quick before they have a chance to ruin a perfectly good coral (you are saving the coral - OK?) because they believe in buy a lot, move a lot in short time - their business model is not to buy a clownfish for $5.00 and sell it for $50.00 because they have a nice filtation system. - My point is they sell at $15.00 and expect it to move quickly - they buy from the same distributors as the more expensive places - they make their money by moving volume - others make their money by charging a lot, keeping stock low but they maintain fabulous systems - it is your choice who you buy from and what you pay - the local guy who is collecting is still making pennies per fish (who are we kidding?) unless we buy strictly aquaculture - now there is a solution - that's all... I am all for and support Responsible reef collection - my wife an I participated in the "Reef Check" Program about 10 years back (Little Cayman) and it is a shame what irresponsible collecting has done to the reefs of course no where near as much damage as global warming.. If you want to save the reefs start by getting rid of the American Gas Guzzling SUV - but that's another story......

BTW - they just got a shippment in yesterday - 7/7 - don't know what is is but I will check it out - heard it is mostly fish - not sure

The address is 172 US Highway 9 North, Morganville, NJ - 07751, 732 536 6626

Chris

Dont you think supporting a store that exercises these types of practices is only adding to the problem?

I would rather pay a bit more for an item from a store that takes the time and energy to at least offer clean conditions for a fish than buy from a store that acts more like a middleman. I dont like the idea of "buy it quick before it dies in their system"...you only perpetuate the ongoing practice. If the store continues to sell livestock then they will continue to bring in more unhealthy livestock into their substandard holding tanks...they know the livestock will sell.

Letting these stores know that we would rather see them improve the holding tanks, quarantine livestock and offer us the best quality animal is the way to go. And its certainly much easier than challenging a nation of SUV drivers as you suggest.

You have to ask yourself if saving some money on a jawfish is worth the perpetuation of poor husbandry by this store.

Doesnt seem to equate in my mind. But if you have "I Got Mine" syndrome perhaps it does.

eholceker

NJRC Member
Man,
It has been a long time since I have been on. I have been so busy with the new job, new puppy, and spending my weekends at the sure house which of course has no internet. I must say this store is complete garbage. The owners are the same and the only reason they changed owners is because they are being sued for false charging credit cards to be able to pay the bills for the store. If any of the old people are still there I would bet there is some shady business going. I used to work there so I know the deal.

Guys,
Avoid this store at all costs and go to Tropiquarium in Ocean Township. This stores waters and fish are diseased!! Every fish I have bought from this store died within 1 week... Have bought 4 fish from them....

I stopped there 2 Sunday's ago, and half of there fish looked diseased....
Also there help have no clue, and would tell you a Blue Tang Hippo could exist in a 29 Gallon nano tank...

Be carefull...