• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Oceanarium

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Was there this weekend. Tanks looked pretty bad and fish names posted on te tanks were not correct. Example: Sign posted said Scooter blenny $29.99 but the tank actually housed a Lawn Mower blenny. Seemed pricey on his inverts as well.

I've never been too sure why, but it seems that almost every store I've been to can't keep up with the tank labels.

Call me crazy but...sell something, erase it...add new stock, write it.

That's a peev of mine. ::)

That is the absolute worst store I have been to. I have never seen so many unhealthy looking fish and the coral selection is pretty pathetic. I have been there a few times to get RO/DI water and sometimes, if you are lucky you might be able to squeeze out 5 gallons. There is never anyone around and the staff is very unknowledgeable. I did however run into someone there that seemed knowledgeable, but I have never seen him there again. I wouldn’t take anything from there if they were giving it away.

eholceker

NJRC Member
cmart,
the knoweledgable person there was me ;D I am only there on the weekends. it also appears they will be closing down the store due to insuffecient funds and only doing maintanence from now on. I do agree that the fish were sickly looking. It was defintily from the lack of care from the people there during the week. The coral selection was very good. People used to take a lot of the orders before we even had a chance to put them in the tanks.

eholceker:
I don't know if you remember me, but I came a little less than 2 months ago to get RO water and I asked you if Monmouth County had silicates in tap water, because I was going to purchase a RO/DI unit? It was on a Saturday. Anyway I didn't realize that about the corals, guess that is why every time I went there it seemed empty. I really could not get over the poor condition of the fish, I felt bad for them. I am not surprised at all it is closing down, it was only a matter of time. I reallly wish the place was well kept since it is so close to my house.

eholceker

NJRC Member
haha, yes actually do remember the conversation. my rule of thum regarding silicates is if you have brown algea on your sand you have silicates. The phosphate levels in the tap water around here are around .8. Never even bothered with the silicates cause I know they are sky high. Corals usually came in on thursday and most of them were gone by Friday. I agree it is a shame as now I have to look into getting my own RO unit. Personally I told him his fish were always sick was because of 2 reasons. 1, he would only order tons of large angels from a crappy distributor. These fish would have pop-eye in less then 3 days. Not to mention keeping them in a 14 inch long tank!, when the fish is 7 inches. Secondly, the shipments of fish never came with heat packs and sometimes took 2 days to get here. I am sure the place never did any water changes on the system. I have actually looked around here to start my own place as I had a lot of people just comming in to see me on the weekends. Hopefully once I put a bigger dent in my student loans it will be possible.

Small world, it was surprising to find someone there who knew what they were talking about, that is why I remembered you. I purchased my RO/DI unti from That Pet Place, I ordered it online, I got the Kent Maxxima 60 GDP, but I still haven't hooked it up, hopefully this weekend. I go all the way to Trop in Ocean for water at least once a week. I brought some stuff there on Saturday, place is looking good again, I am friends with the owner. I also was at Absolutely Fish on Saturday and they had nothing, said they were getting in a big shipment this week. Probably just going to stick with Trop. Let me know if you ever open your own place.

Cmart I am also right near oceanarium ,where are you located, Im right near rt 9 and inverness . It is a long drive to trop but worth it ,nothing around our area at all .

eholceker

NJRC Member
I am the ex employee =) I don't think they are going out of business but I plan on opening up a store hopefully by the end of the summer. If they aren't out of business now I can gurantee that they will be when I open up shop.

eholceker

NJRC Member
Manalapan, Marlboro, Freehold, Old Bridge Area. It is kind of tough trying to find a affordable place that is suited for an aquarium. Right now I have a maintainence and installation company going with one of the other members of NJRC. Once we find the place we should be up and running.