• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Oceanic Biocube 14

My nano tank adventure has begun!!

I found a pistol shrimp/Randall goby pair a couple of weeks ago. The original plan was to put them in our display tank. However we have a lizard blenny that might prey on the pistol shrimp. Plus the shrimp keeps on digging and moving sand around so we were afraid it might bury our corals in the sand.

I started looking for a nano tank where the pair would go and found this. So far, the plan is to add maybe 1 more fish like a possum wrasse or a clownfish, but keep the livestock to a minimum. Corals will be mostly softies and LPS. I might sneak in an SPS or two in there after I upgrade the lights. I will probably add black sand too so the goby stands out.

y7e6a3ed.jpg

Awwh man thats looking great, I always wanted the black sand but I was talked out of it. Ill live it through you by following this thread lol.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
What I have is the jet black stuff and my magnet doesn't pick it up so I figure I'm safe, do a search on what black sand you are thinking about Jun.
Tonights recap:
devils 3
Flyers 0
Goooo devils :)

Oh man, I did not know that about the sand. I have some magnets I can use to see if it picks up any metal. Sand is jet black and sugar sized. If it has metals, what should I do with it? Ditch it?
budeqazu.jpg

You should be good. The stuff with the metal is a pepper colored sand. Not really the black stuff.

Actually I used the black Tahitian and it did indeed have some magnetized pieces in it. Stick a strong magnet in it and motive it around. If anything sticks then you know. Either way it's ok to use, you just need to be careful when in close with a cleaner.

Actually I used the black Tahitian and it did indeed have some magnetized pieces in it. Stick a strong magnet in it and motive it around. If anything sticks then you know. Either way it's ok to use, you just need to be careful when in close with a cleaner.

Probably depends on the batch you get too. I know the pepper colored stuff I had was loaded with at least iron in it, who really knows what else it has in it! Guess it really depends on how lucky you are when you pick your bags out of the stock they are :)

No metals in the sand. Hurry up and cycle already!!

biocube.jpg

It looks like I'm going to need a small heater for the tank. That's probably what my wife will give me for Xmas. :grin: