• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

OG2

Not that I like the place for corals or any SW for that matter, but I was in there yesterday getting a koi and they now carry an OK collection of SPS frags and a small tank of macroalgae in case anyone is interested.

A couple of years ago, the store was great. I bought my a tank, and some freshwater fish. Lately it seems the store isn't as clean. There is also 1 guy there that is pretty nasty.

I have a branch I travel to in the area, so I'm there during work hours. The older guy is ok, but there is a guy early 20's, blond shaved head tahts a real @!#$#@.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm going to pass this information along to Gary (the owner of OG 2). I know the guy you are speaking of. He used to be an a**hole to me, but once I got to know him he is an alright guy.

I want them to know the complaints he is getting.

I had a go around with the same guy. I no longer shop there and I steered a friend away that was about to buy a 110 gal setup.

I'll never go there again. I called to return a timer. Nothing but nasty on the phone. When I got was there, the guy kept walking in to me. Another guy behind the counter explained why I brought the timer back, my wife over heard him say " Maybe he's too stupid to set the timer right ". If my wife and daughter weren't with me I would have adjusted his attitude.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
For Once.. I am not going to defend Ocean Gallery.
That guy that is offending everyone really has problems... I heard him tell off a customer in there the other day. Granted, his point was valid, The guy kept killing his fish and buying more and then wanted a steep discount, so he told him "If you knew how to care for fish, you wouldnt need to be spending so much money on fish" (but he wasn't as polite)

If I talked to customers that way, I wouldn't have a job.

Ghost,
Quote: "the guy kept walking into me"

What does that mean??? Do you mean literally "walking into you" like physically??? If so, he would do that to me once and I would snap him in half like a Stella D'oro breadstick.

*no affilliation with Stella D'oro or breadsticks.

Mike.

Yeah,

Everytime he passed me he would make contact, not hard but you knew it was on purpose. If I were alone he still would be eating through a straw, but I had my 2 yr old daughter with me. Besides the best way to get this guy is to stop giving him business.

Agree, Agree, Agree, Agree!!

I've ranted about this place for months :eek:

Reefdrumz, I glad to see you have finally stopped defending the place. It's hard when I good store goes bad. I'm sure at some point in their past they were a good store.

But I'll tell you, the guy everyone is talking about may be bad, but it's really the whole culture of the store -- Probably why he gets to continue working there.

I'll admit haven't shopped there seriously in 9months maybe a year, but I did go back a few weeks ago to browse and see if anything changed. The place was worse then ever. Dirty store, the fish were marginal or sickly and the staff was still rude or indifferent. I didn't take notice if it was the guy you all are talking about, but someone was running around the customers as if we should be getting out of his way. You the kind of "make room, fast paced pushing through" I was calmly browsing the fish and I have this guy nearly pushing me into the tanks. And it wasn't even crowded. It was the kind of I'm more important than you, now get out of the way attitude. No thanks!

They ripped me off a few years ago when I was real newbie and didn't know better. They tried to rip me off with expired meds about a year ago (Not just a mistake of old stock which can be forgiven, a real arguement about taking it back when I returned 2 hours later) and were rude and nasty to me when I was in there to buy a flame angel with my then 3yr-old. Needless to say I went somewhere else--Pet Shanty, on 22 in Scotch Plains, in fact.

I know Pet Shanty doesn't have the greatest selection, but they are helpful, and always courteous and always seem like they want you as a customer. The stock they do care is almost always in good health and I've always had good luck the fish I bought there. That means a lot to me.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah, it's really a shame. I have a pretty good relationship with Gary and Craig (the owner and son). But I have to admit, until I spent a lot of money there, they could have really given a crap. I buy my tanks there and they give me a good price. Most of my corals are from there as well. (probably about 40% of them) same with my LR.

I gave up buying fish from them though...I've had too many bad experiences with fish from there.

It sucks that they let the place go down hill, it is only about 10 minutes from my house...so convienent. Craig said a few months ago they were going to re-do that back section where they keep the inverts and misc. reef stuff. But that never came to fruition I guess.

Pet Shanty is pretty good. The one guy there is a little strange, but which of us reefers isnt? :p

They usually have nice fish, and thier LR is pretty nice
Their website is pretty neat as well. They keep a stock list of fish and corals on there. Sometimes it's not updated, but usually is right on.

Now you have me wanting to go in there to see if he will try to run into me!!!! LOL!!!!.

I used to have a SW fish store not 5 minutes from my house (mind you this was almost 20 years ago) His fish were always priced higher but he went to the wholesaler and hand picked the fish for his store. In fact, I still have the damsels I got from him, they are 17 YO and my clown fish were with me for 15 years. I bought a orb. Batfish from him that I had for about 6 years, he got HUGE, his fins almost touched the top and bottom of my 75, he would eat right out of my hands, he loved bananas! I was making plans to donate him to the Camden Aquarium and one morning I woke up and he was dead. At one time I put a valentini puffer in my tank and in the morning the bat looked like it was shot with a shot gun, it had abot 30 same size holes in its fins, puffer went back that same morning. He healed up really fast in case you are wondering. The bat would sleep laying on the suface of the water and it looked like a big dead leaf. Sorry for the long read.
Mike.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I got my ich from Absolutely Fish. Cool store for shopping in though.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Reefs Inc. is a good place to get fish from. They are a little "pricey" but well worth it. Their fish are in good shape.

Sometimes you can find a great deal at Petco. Certain stores actually have people that care about fish. Not the one in piscataway though...terrible!

I was in OG2 today. Store seemed crowded with empty tanks, i had to squeeze through just to see everything. The selection was ok, but the corals seemed overpriced to me. i bought some salt and a f.perc that seems to be doing really well. Is in the QT now, so we shall see. I think i missed the rude guy, the 2 guys i met were nice enough

My opinions of this place are mixed...
The are decidedly convenient as they are close to my home.
I have experienced some rudeness, but "the guy" you have all spoken about seems to be patent with my wife's questions. I have not purchased any fish from them, but I have got some product and a few corals, and they have not done so bad. They are an interesting group of people to deal with. Overall, I will go back. They are not strictly a fish store, they have all types of reptiles and birds as well and "the guy" seems to have the most knowledge about all of them as I have heard him tackle questions from all areas.

I always try to give a place at least a few trys before placing it on the "s@#$ list" because sometimes people are just having bad days...or weeks :)

Kenny Z.

The "guy"'s name is Chris. He is an a##... I have known the people there for years, and once he gained some power, well, my experiences there are not the best. I bartered with him over a few zoas... he said $20... I said $15. (It was ~8 polyps) I went all the way up to 19.50, and he still wouldn't sell. (I just did it to see how much of an a## he was being that day). My family provides them with a lot of their birds, and as a result, I got to know them pretty well, and get the normal discounts... I must have spent a few grand there. Well, Chris doesn't like this, so he makes my life h#ll while I am there. Anyhow, when you go there, deal with Gary (knows his stuff!) or Andy! Andy is the MAN! 8)
-Gvtv44