• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Oh No...MY MO !!!

I just got my test water back from AWT. The results follow:

Ammonia (NH3-4) ........................Good ....................... 0.002
Nitrite (NO2)...........................Good ....................... 0.017
Nitrate (NO3)...........................Good.........................1.4
Phosphate (PO4) ........................Good ....................... 0.21
Silica (SiO2-3) ....................... High.........................1.1
Potassium (K)...........................Low......................... 215
Calcium (Ca)............................Low......................... 291
Boron (B) ..............................Good ........................4.2
Molybdenum (Mo)........................ High.........................0.4
Strontium (Sr) ........................ High....................... 12.7
Magnesium (Mg) ........................ High....................... 1475
Iodine (I¯).............................Good ...................... 0.07
Copper (Cu++) ......................... High....................... 0.04
Alkalinity (meq/L)......................Good ...................... 2.59

Any thoughts? My Molybdenum and Strontium are pretty high. I haven't used anything in my tank and never add this stuff. Any thoughts on that one? Any advice on any of this would be great. Thanks

some of the stuff they test for is crazy... how would ya even lower your molybdenum??? furthermore, what are the effects of a high concentration? i may send in my water in between a change just to see what the levels are...

Def copper and silica are more of a problem than the moly, I don't even know how bad a high level would be for your tank. Probably worse than a low level though

Nickjr000 said:
Def copper and silica are more of a problem than the moly, I don't even know how bad a high level would be for your tank. Probably worse than a low level though

They are, but that I think I can fix those. My RO/DI unit was way over due for changing the filters. And I've had them but was too lazy and not testing for copper or silica. Anyway, those I understand, but I had no idea what to do about the Molybdenum. I just wish there were more accurate home test available, I hate having to give a best guess to colors! Before I sent my test in, I tested with a Salifert test and my Nitrates came in at 5, when I got the test back they said 1.4, so I tested again with the Salifert and a Red Sea (I know!) anyway, they still came in about 5. Who do you trust? I tend to think maybe I'm a little color blind or something. Anyway, Things are improving in my levels. Thanks

IMHO, your water testing show a few things you might want to alter, but overall they are not way out of line.

Take a look at your livestock. If the fish and corals are looking great, and doing well, I be very reluctant to change anything. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Consider the tests a guide, not something you need to match.