• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

OIA Clam Progress thread!

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Clam status update. Last week it let go of it’s spot and fell off the rock I had him on. I noticed just as I was leaving for work. He was mantle down on the sand bed. I didn’t have time to do much, so I grabbed him and put him on a ceramic plug in the frag tank. He seems good, spins around here and there. I caught him with his foot out and moving once, he reaches down to the rack and moves the plug with him.

Okay this is weird, mine did the same exact thing yesterday. I came home and it was face down in the sand. Put it back in its spot as soon as I saw and it seems fine today. Very strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Very sad news, my coral beauty decided last night that my clam no longer was allowed to live and completely cleaned it out. Extremely sad [emoji20]. I’ll be rehoming him shortly, anyone want a clam eating coral beauty?

e813a4646a982c6de88acd385bd9e805.jpg

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
So sorry! Were you feeding the coral beauty it several times a day? They are big eaters, and love to graze throughout the day. They love to pick on algae growing on live rock.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
So sorry! Were you feeding it several times a day? They are big eaters, and love to graze throughout the day. They love to pick on algae growing on live rock.

I feed 2X daily, approx 1.5 full cubes of frozen each day. Thought it’d be enough but I guess not [emoji53]

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Was the clam healthy? That poor clam...what a way to die if it was. You're having a tough week!

Dave your clam looks a lot better.
I am not sure the CB killed the clam. We often blame some animal for death. But they often just scavenge what dies.
Typically when an angel fish nips the mantel you will see it react by closing up. If it happens regularly than the clam dies but there is generally a something is bothering me period where the clam looks upset mantle recedes etc. Naturally clams have a defense against a small angel fish. I think it can be something else..bacteria infection, parasite etc.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Dave your clam looks a lot better.
I am not sure the CB killed the clam. We often blame some animal for death. But they often just scavenge what dies.
Typically when an angel fish nips the mantel you will see it react by closing up. If it happens regularly than the clam dies but there is generally a something is bothering me period where the clam looks upset mantle recedes etc. Naturally clams have a defense against a small angel fish. I think it can be something else..bacteria infection, parasite etc.

I'm not sure, The clam was very healthy, fully extended, and growing then overnight just got completely cleaned to the shell. Doesnt sound like an infection or parasite to me.

That’s the problem with clams you think it’s healthy and its slowly dying. Until one days it’s an empty shells. Most times the fish or clean up crew will eat it after it has already died. What kind of lights did you have did you have it up high enough. Maxima need strong light

That’s the problem with clams you think it’s healthy and its slowly dying. Until one days it’s an empty shells. Most times the fish or clean up crew will eat it after it has already died. What kind of lights did you have did you have it up high enough. Maxima need strong light

Yep well said.