• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Old salt water and sump pumps

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Does anyone pump their used water change water into a sump pump. Not looking to see if you think it's allowed but if it will damage the pump. I assume like the bilge pump on a boat in salt water or the pumps of various kinds in our tanks any decent sump pump can handle it fine but I was curios of opinions...

I used to drain my water changes into my sump area lol. Much easier than lugging buckets, i just ran a hose. I never noticed anything detrimental because of it.

I would imagine the sump pump is made to handle it. It gets all sorts of dirt, and minerals from the ground water. Don't they also use pumps like this for boats?

I have been using a sump pump to pump the wc water to the drain for 5 years. I haveonly cleaned it twice. And besides the usual junk growth when something sits in water. It still runs like new. The only thing I had to replacewas the clamp that held the float at a certain level. Rusted through.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
I had a Rule 1500 when I had my boat which was in saltwater and it was bulletproof. It sat in the back of a totally open boat and the only fresh water it saw was from rain. I'm guessing a sump pump is similar enough. Good point about the clamps rusting. For the moment I have the RO/Di discharging in there too so that will flush it out.
Anyway I was pretty weak on my convictions because about 15 minutes after Xavier's reply the first 15 gallons went in.

I use to do this. I would dump some buckets of tap water in when I was done for piece of mind because the sump didn't run often and I didn't want it sitting in the saltwater