• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

? on Topoffs+ACJR or REEFKEEPERII

C

concept3

Okay-  I don't really need to go spending more $$$ on the tank, but with the larger water surface area,  I'm getting more evaporation that the old one.  I'm adding about a gallon and change every morning and I'm not a morning person so you know how well that goes.

I was reading up on the automatic top offs as I would like to automate that part of the chore.  Living upstairs though and having caused one MAJOR flood to my neighbor's   *shh*   I'm not 100% comfortable enough in using just a:
Tunze Osmolator
or ATO switch
or manual float valve
or auto topoff.com

Hence, the ACJR OR ReefKeeperII question.  Apparently, this could be the intgeral part of the topoff system being a failsafe.  I know it's an expensive unit for just topoffs, but I could use it to control the CO2 (I've been having it on 24 hrs/day for 1 1/2 yrs now), lights, etc etc

Also, is there such a thing as a topoff device that DOES not utilize a pump? (I have no room for a reservoir)  I think the only thing that does is the Float valve.  Does someone make a Jaco fitting connected to a Float valve that can be programmed to open up for a minute that the AC JR or Reefkeeper can control?  I think I saw something like that somewhere but I can't remember.

Any help or leads are appreciated.

Thanks!

_merv

C

concept3

DO you guys think this will work?

2ROs.jpg

Basically, the RO/DI system/topoff will flow this way

RO/DI system--->pressurized water tank under kitchen sink--->
25 foot RO tubing--->solenoid 1---->solenoid2----->manual Kent floatvalve in sump's last chamber

solenoid 1 hooked up to AC JR or Reefkeeper for 10 minutes/day*(?)
solenoid 2 hooked up to AC JR or Reefkeeper for 6 minutes/day*(?)

*will tweak for max efficiency, or will have them turn on when I'm home after 6pm just in case...

Pic courtesy of autotopoff.com

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Why 2 solenoids? I know you love redundancy... But I would think that one would work fine.

If you have that, with a controller and float valve I think that would be fine.

I have my controller set to turn on 1 minute every 6 hours.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My only concern is that kent float valve. Those things are notorious for failure when immersed in salt water (calcification makes them heavy and they don't "float" as readily). That would make the 2 solonoids desireable, but the two ACs would have to be sync'd perfectly in order for it to actually operate. Anything goes wrong with the sync while you're away and you're running with a dry sump. Can you connect those solonoids to an ATO unit instead of the kent unit?

C

concept3

Phyl said:
Can you connect those solonoids to an ATO unit instead of the kent unit?

It still uses a pump though, and I have no place to keep stored water. What if I got an audible alarm instead?

Another thing too is the Kent Float Valve. They usually fail in the "OPEN" position, LOL

Merv -

Since you're so handy with the woood working, why don't you build a nice little cabinet to store the water, as well as other "things".

Marcelo -

Merv,

I would go with the solenoids and the ACJR and loose the Kent float switch. Use an Autotopoff.com float switch that is normally on to act as an upper level limit switch that controls the solenoids power.

Not sure why you have two solenoids either, are they controlling the input and output sides of the RODI unit?

Heres the vision; ACJR turns on the solenoids with time periods adjusted based on your average daily useage. The AutoTopoff.com float switch is mounted to sense a level somewhat higher than you are targeting, but still safe. It is in normally on mode and when the waterlevel activates this switch it cuts power to the solenoids which I hope are normally closed and will shut off if power is cut while they are activated.

I have a pump and reservoir and use the ACJR. I'm waiting for GB fever to pass so I can order the float switch. So for now I run in the morning only, right after I get up (just in case), and at night I make up the difference when necessary, using the controller to run the pump manually.

C

concept3

Marcelog said:
Merv -

Since you're so handy with the woood working, why don't you build a nice little cabinet to store the water, as well as other "things".

Marcelo -

I'm placing two plants to the left and right of the tank so no can do unfortunately. I did think of that in the beginning but quickly dissipated :(

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A pair of pedastals would be great for under the plants. Yeah yeah, so you already have floor plants?

C

concept3

I'm trying NOT to do anymore DIY work (for a while) ..............sheeeesh peeps.

C

concept3

It's funny how I talk about something and I think about it, and I say nope, no need to spend more money and all of a sudden, look what shows up at my door!!!!

WEIRD!  It's like those Credit card elves ordering stuff for me while I'm asleep again!

to.jpg

I took out the second one, I was testing it out.  It's pretty cool, and MAN does that solenoid pack a punch when it shuts off.  It's like CLANK!  no more water!

EEET EEES PRETTY COOL!!!!

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Does it look like all plastic/rubber components in RO contact areas?

C

concept3

yep!

made sure about that since DI can corrode metal!

You going to ILC this sunday Rich? I'll be there at 10:00 am'ish

concept3.5 said:
Phyl said:
Can you connect those solonoids to an ATO unit instead of the kent unit?

It still uses a pump though, and I have no place to keep stored water.  What if I got an audible alarm instead?

Another thing too is the Kent Float Valve.  They usually fail in the "OPEN" position, LOL

I have been hearing this for years well ever since i set up my first KENT float valve (the black one not the white one) 5 years ago my float has never ever got stuck even when i use to have it set up straight to the RO/DI unit with a pressure pump of up to 90 PSI, i have heard of more people having problems with the solenoids (thats why they all ways get two) with calcium deposits & salt creep,

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
concept3.5 said:

I'll be making Francis's sump tomorrow and the Daytona 500 is on. Plus, until I get my ca reactor, kalk reactor & sulfur reactor made, and the lights squared away, I won't be adding any corals (well frags maybe) or clams. Not that I have any room anyway. Time to break ground on the 72 x 36 x 30 (crikey!!!! that's 340g) I will be stopping by Monday before the Flyers game if time allows to check out the fish. I was considering maybe a Tang and/or Wrasse. Depends.

Did you see Billy's post with the pictures of the clams?

C

concept3

RichT said:
concept3.5 said:

Did you see Billy's post with the pictures of the clams?

Yep, I'll be posting my own by tomorrow night. Right now, I gotta get 6 hours of sleep, gotta be up at 9:00AM!

Hey Concept3.75 what happens to that unit if they power gets cut off?

does it remain closed in "idle" and the soleniod just opens.... if so can this get worn and fail?

I like that setup but worried about it failing, I have 5Gal bucket right now so if both floats and the timer fail I still wont spill more than 5G.