• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Opinion

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I had moved my 40b from my office to the garage a few months ago in preparation for the new tank 75/90. This morning I went to turn on the lights and saw this crack on the black frame that wasn’t there last night. How worried should I be? Do you think it's about to explode? Don’t want to loose my acros and fish. I have been calling/emailing a number of LFS just before corona and now. No one is getting deliveries of tanks. If needed I will go to petco and get another 40b 83DB1F66-1DE6-42F7-8548-D218F7FA8AF3.jpeg

I had moved my 40b from my office to the garage a few months ago in preparation for the new tank 75/90. This morning I went to turn on the lights and saw this crack on the black frame that wasn’t there last night. How worried should I be? Do you think it's about to explode? Don’t want to loose my acros and fish. I have been calling/emailing a number of LFS just before corona and now. No one is getting deliveries of tanks. If needed I will go to petco and get another 40b View attachment 29320

I took a look on the internet and a lot of people said to silicone all around the rim and also in the crack. They also said to check your stand to make sure it’s supporting it properly. I am a newbie at this so I would not take my advice unless someone else can validate that it could work.

I think the other suggestions here are better.

The way I see it it didn’t spread all the way down. you could test it by measuring the distance of the crack and seeing if it cracks anymore also gluing it might help you determine if the crack gets bigger

I had moved my 40b from my office to the garage a few months ago in preparation for the new tank 75/90. This morning I went to turn on the lights and saw this crack on the black frame that wasn’t there last night. How worried should I be? Do you think it's about to explode? Don’t want to loose my acros and fish. I have been calling/emailing a number of LFS just before corona and now. No one is getting deliveries of tanks. If needed I will go to petco and get another 40b View attachment 29320
Also saw that this site sells frames. Not sure on the process to replace it.

I happen to have a 40 breeder laying around that cracked on me around a drilled hole. Bukhead hit a 2x4 brace as I was removing it from its rack and cracked the side panel.

Anyway I have a 40 breeder you can have that has a good top frame. Pull it and replace yours if you like.

Porch pick up in old Bridge . Can be there tomorrow for you .

@diana a That is totally reparable. Use a clamp to ensure you take any bow out of glass. Take a piece of plastic or glass the same with as cracked support and longer than 2”. Silicone over the crack and allow 48 hours before removing clamp.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Just want to let you know- I have a similar crack in the frame of my 90g, which has had no issues over the 3 or 4 years that I have had it.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Hey @diana a I had a similar break on my 180. I watched it for over a year. Just to make sure it never spread. Which it didn’t. I eventually removed it when I moved but it never posed a problem. FWIW