• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Opinions on kessil H80 Tuna Flora?

Hi all,

So my setup is an 80 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump with a 2nd cube underneath that I am in the process of setting up as a fuge(12 inches by 10 inches by 15 inches tall). So I was looking at buying a H80 tuna flora but I've been seeing a lot of posts on other forums about this light not being worth it. So I figured I'd ask the NJ reefing community and see if anyone has any experiences with this light at all. Thank you!

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
not worth it for the price, IMO. the UFO grow lights are much cheaper and put out a ton of PAR

not worth it for the price, IMO. the UFO grow lights are much cheaper and put out a ton of PAR
I actually have a ufo grow light but due to heat concerns i was thinking about going with the kessil because I know it’s a safe product. It’s a little cramped in my stand with poor ventilation and I’m worried the ufo will generate to much heat

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I have this light and it works well. Kessil make a great product, and in my opinion are well worth the money. They also have great support. One of my AP700s died last week, It was about 16 months old. They asked me one question then had a new one in transit to me the next business day. I'm actually dropping off the broken one to the UPS store today for return shipping on Kessil's dime.

Dave

Waterproof 6500K LED Fixture 8821.00 - Tunze

I dont think the kessil is worth the price either. If I was going to spend the money I would get the 160. I use this it grows cheato very well and its water proof.
I might just get the h160 then
I have this light and it works well. Kessil make a great product, and in my opinion are well worth the money. They also have great support. One of my AP700s died last week, It was about 16 months old. They asked me one question then had a new one in transit to me the next business day. I'm actually dropping off the broken one to the UPS store today for return shipping on Kessil's dime.

Dave
and dave if you dont mind me asking what size is your system? Also what lights do you use in your display? I just want to make sure something like this h80 would be strong enough for my tank and to handle nutrient control

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I’ll never be shy about talking reefs ;). I have two Ap700 in a 61” aquatic life T5 hybrid fixture on my display, a frag tank with an Ap700 on it, and a small frag tank with an a360we on it. i have a spare ap700 which is going to end up on another frag tank soon. The display is 160g. Total water volume is about 220ish gallons.

The H80 worked great for me, but I wanted the space back in the sump for something else. I used a reactor for a bit, which worked great too. I needed the frag tank space for corals so I took it down.

I’m just running some gfo at the moment. im going back to a big fuge soon, I’m thinking of using sea lettuce this time.

Good luck!

burrito

NJRC Member
i havent used any ebay grow lights before but i bought the kessil h160 for the fuge section of my trigger 34 sump and running just 10 hours a night my cheato is super green and constantly growing. my chamber has to be manually turned because the mass of cheato wont move othersiwe

I’ll never be shy about talking reefs ;). I have two Ap700 in a 61” aquatic life T5 hybrid fixture on my display, a frag tank with an Ap700 on it, and a small frag tank with an a360we on it. i have a spare ap700 which is going to end up on another frag tank soon. The display is 160g. Total water volume is about 220ish gallons.

The H80 worked great for me, but I wanted the space back in the sump for something else. I used a reactor for a bit, which worked great too. I needed the frag tank space for corals so I took it down.

I’m just running some gfo at the moment. im going back to a big fuge soon, I’m thinking of using sea lettuce this time.

Good luck!
Oh wow I'm a bit jealous haha, sounds like some awesome setups! Did it keep your phosphates and nitrates low ? Only reason I was skeptical of this light because people were saying its not strong enough to out compete the display lights causing algae, but if it grew in your system I believe that disproves others lol! I'm probably going to give it a shot, thanks for your input!

i havent used any ebay grow lights before but i bought the kessil h160 for the fuge section of my trigger 34 sump and running just 10 hours a night my cheato is super green and constantly growing. my chamber has to be manually turned because the mass of cheato wont move othersiwe
I would like to use the h160 but im trying to reef on a budget at the moment lol, the h80 is a little more affordable but maybe I i find a good deal on the h160 I'd give it a shot, Thanks for your input!

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Oh wow I'm a bit jealous haha, sounds like some awesome setups! Did it keep your phosphates and nitrates low ? Only reason I was skeptical of this light because people were saying its not strong enough to out compete the display lights causing algae, but if it grew in your system I believe that disproves others lol! I'm probably going to give it a shot, thanks for your input!

Yes, it kept them down. what works really depends on your system. If your not sure, get the next one up. You can always turn down the intensity.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I can say I have a triton 44 with a large Refugium. I am growing Cheato with a Kessil H80.
I was going to upgrade light when I upgraded sump. But the H80 is growing a lot of cheato.
So I think it’s worth it.

If you want to save money I am also running this light Amazon CF grow light. I have it in my frag tank sump and it’s amazing it’s growing cheato and it’s water proof for $29 lol

Attachments

• 6E574BA4-8CFC-4232-A16C-08AEDD745C9E.png
    6E574BA4-8CFC-4232-A16C-08AEDD745C9E.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I can say I have a triton 44 with a large Refugium. I am growing Cheato with a Kessil H80.
I was going to upgrade light when I upgraded sump. But the H80 is growing a lot of cheato.
So I think it’s worth it.

If you want to save money I am also running this light Amazon CF grow light. I have it in my frag tank sump and it’s amazing it’s growing cheato and it’s water proof for $29 lol
I was going to reccomend this same light. I'm a kessil man myself but can't spend that much for a grow light.

Thank you all for the replies everyone, so I ended up going with the a80 so I guess I'll see how this goes. It was a little disappointing spending so much on a 15 watt refugium light but hopefully it'll be worth it