• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Orange Tree Gorgonian Question

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A friend of mine has THIS coral in a tank that was accidently overfed by an in-law and now has very high nitrates. He wants to do some big water changes but is reluctant because it is near the top of the tank. He was told when he bought it to very careful to not expose it to air because it would kill it. We're just looking to verify that this is true. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks!

Untrue,

Whoever told him this is confusing it with orange tree SPONGE. This is a gorgo which can be exposed to air. I have a yellow one similar to this as well as a tree sponge. If he is that concerned, frag it underwater, bag, and sell the frag; then do the change.

NP,

Now you just owe me and matt a frag of the orange gorg ;)

Actually, which color gorgs are photosynthetic? I want to add some more colors to tank without starving out my current filter feeders (which i think I might already have done)

If you look at my post on my 90 bow I have a very large tree sponge in my tank. And you can't let it get it exposed to air. I also have an orange gorgorian that has red polyps it was exposed to air and it died where the air hit it so I would suggest do not let it get exposed for to long. The one you have pictured is the one I have.

It was from the air or did you do something else? I've never heard of a gorg dying from that before. The whole colony died or just the area it was exposed? DFS didn't list this species as being problematic with air and this is the first time I've heard of a gorg having that prob.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
calaxa said:
NP,

Now you just owe me and matt a frag of the orange gorg ;)

Actually, which color gorgs are photosynthetic? I want to add some more colors to tank without starving out my current filter feeders (which i think I might already have done)

calaxa said:
It was from the air or did you do something else? I've never heard of a gorg dying from that before. The whole colony died or just the area it was exposed? DFS didn't list this species as being problematic with air and this is the first time I've heard of a gorg having that prob.
I have 3 different gorgorians in my tank. We drained water out to do a water change and I wanted to glue a couple of the new pieces coral we bought and of course it is much easier to do it when the water level is down. So we added the new coral then refilled the tank the orange gorgorian was the only thing that was effected I have one that is burgundy with white polyps that was exposed and it was fine so it just might be that species. I aslo have a puple gorgorian and it has been exposed and I never had a problem with that one either.