• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

oregon tort placement

If you have an oregon tort that has really nice blue coloration, where do u keep in with respect to your lighting/flow?

I have one but the blue isn't coming out for me. I have it high-light/medium flow.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Time to start getting fussy and getting rid of the ones you aren't so attached to!

I've had mine since the frag swap and the color is getting is bluer and bluer everyday. It's starting to look really good.

I got mine around then too from a guy in NY. First time I ever had anything shipped to me, and it came brown. Now the polyps are blue, but the body is only blu-ish. I think it's my lighting. I have an ORA blue tort too, and that isn't as blue as I've seen in other tanks. Greens, purples, oranges are great in my tank, just not blues. I think it's the spectrum. I'm adding T-5s this weekend, see how it goes.

I have it under t5, but bulbs are really old ::) this will be in my 180 soon with my 14 t5 constillation fixture.
2008026-1.jpg

hayabusa2003 said:
I got mine around then too from a guy in NY. First time I ever had anything shipped to me, and it came brown. Now the polyps are blue, but the body is only blu-ish. I think it's my lighting. I have an ORA blue tort too, and that isn't as blue as I've seen in other tanks. Greens, purples, oranges are great in my tank, just not blues. I think it's the spectrum. I'm adding T-5s this weekend, see how it goes.

Check your iodine and potassium levels if possible. I've found them to be one of the biggest causes of lack of blues in tanks that are otherwise spot on.

Just a thought,
Carlo

thx carlo...that's good to know. Of course those are two things I DON'T have test kits for. What levels should they be at? I can google it but if you know off hand please post.

I run 175watt 15K iwasakis now. I'm adding 2x54watt Giesmann 20Ks and 2x54watt Giesman true actinics this weekend if I have time. If anything, it'll at least make my tank "look" blue-er :)

He's mine. The polps aren't out cause I had to move the frag to get the top down photo. Looks identical to Pnoy's but that's probably cause I got it from him.

Sorry for the bad pic I had to rush to get the shot before the lights went out.

IMG_5523.jpg

Mike & Steve, seems in both your pictures, the polyps are actually deeper in color than then rest of the acro. On mine, the polyps are basically the same shade of blue and pretty much blend in. What temp bulbs do you use?

MikeNapoli said:
Jonathan, have you looked at the UVI superactinics. They are really really nice.

UVI? Or did u mean UVL? I was debating between Giesmann and UVLs, and I went with Giesmann cause they make a 20K bulb. Plus Mott768 uses Giesmann, and I wanna be like Mott :)

Yeah I meant UVL. They just started making T5 bulbs, I'm sure more people would have them otherwise..... they used to be the best with T12s and VHO users swear by them. I have one SuperActinic and 1 50/50 from them and I like them both alot.