• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Our DIY sump and DIY stand

Thank you both so much. :)

We're pleased with it. The "pop-out" doors didn't work out because the mechanism wasn't strong enough to hold the side doors in place, so we just used hinges there, too. No biggie.

---
Wendy

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Very nice, Wendy. I really like the detail work on the trim. It came out great. I can't wait to see some life in it!

Thank you all again. ;D

Hi Jon, I'm SO happy to be here. What a great place!

I know this doesn't fall under DIY sump and stand, but I still wanted to share what I've done this morning.

Overflow when I was starting to modify it:
Overflow3-12-07.jpg

Overflow modification completed:
Overflow3-12-07-1.jpg

^^ I did the same thing Merv did, I widened the slots and made them a wee bit longer, too.

Tank - all cleaned up now: :)
Tank3-12-07.jpg

I should be getting the sand this week, along with an RO/DI unit, Reef Crystals, and other goodies I ordered. 1 step closer again. ;)

---
Wendy

C

concept3

That looks great wendy! Now you should have no problem pumping a true 600 gph through those slots and it'll be quieter too.

Thank you, Merv. :) Couldn't have done it without you.

I figured I continue to show the progress of my building adventure right here. Why start another thread, right?

The creation of the canopy:
Canopy3-12-07.jpg

Back:
Canopy3-12-07-1.jpg

With molding front view:
Canopy3-14-07.jpg

Side view:
Canopy3-14-07-1.jpg

Top view (wide open):
Canopy3-14-07-3.jpg

Access panel wide open:
ExplanationofCanopy.jpg

Unless someone is 7' tall, you shouldn't be able to notice that the top is wide open because my stand is so tall.

---
Wendy

Nice. Very nice. I like the lip in the canopy for the splash shield. Another thing I can incorporate into my canopy! ;D

I love this sharing thing! Saves time with my trial and error building technique! ;D ;D

JerseyWendy said:
Unless someone is 7' tall, you shouldn't be able to notice that the top is wide open because my stand is so tall.

---
Wendy

Don't worry everyone will be saying cool light effect on u'r Ceiling :)
great job on the wood work.

Thank you all very much. :)

The canopy is now completed, only needs very few touch-ups here and there.
Canopy3-17-07.jpg

Canopy3-17-07-1.jpg

This week my RO/DI unit arrived, I picked up 110lbs of sand (THANK YOU TFJ Pet Center for the GREAT price and for putting up with me ;D), plus the Reef Crystals and some other stuff arrived from an online order.

Yesterday my husband and I spent over 2 hours at Lowe's, getting as many plumbing compartments as we could think of, including all parts of the Durso (I printed out the Durso's component list). I also brought along my return pump and bulkhead for the return so we could buy the right parts for those.

The only thing I'm missing now are the light bulbs and the live rock. As soon as the weather warms up I'll be selling most of my tarantulas and will use that money for the rock. :)

---
Wendy

PS. If the open canopy causes too much of a distraction to the ceiling, I'm sure I can figure something out. All I know is that I've seen 2 Tek Lights like mine on fish tanks, and didn't notice any light penetrating upwards. We'll see. :)