• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Over flows

So after I left Sunnys place on Friday I got to thinking... I not good to think... any way I was thinking about removing my one over flow. And putting both return pipes in just the back overflow. Anyone ever done this? The supply pipes I would just bring up over the side of the tank. This would clean the look up a lot.

Any thoughts?

ere8utyv.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't do that. But if you don't like the look of the overflow chambers, why not build up your rock work around them, to help disguise them a little. You might also consider gluing some coral to them.

It is not really the look of it per say. When you walk on the side of the tank you see the pipes. Because you can walk around 3 side's of the tank. It would also clear up some room to for viewing.

OK, now I see that you have it set up as a peninsula. If you're considering that, why not remove both of them and install a weir type overflow completely (coast to coast) across the other side(assuming you can drill it)? Use the remaining holes in the bottom for your returns

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
You could cover that part with paint,contact paper ,wood, or something to that effect. Though taking it out would sure look nice.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Bob

Just make it easier on you.

Order a custom peninsula from DAS, with overflow on the side.
Empty the contents in a rubbermaid tote (while you can and have no corals)
Sell the 265 G

Well, we think about next steps later :D

Sunny

If I read everything right, you want to remove the overflow and seal the holes right. I guess you would silicone glass blanks over the holes, right? I can't see a way to do this without draining the system.

I agree with Curt, a little black paint and no more pipes.

Or you could just do what Sunny said. Much better idea.

I can't see getting away with this without draining the whole tank.. I have a 150 Rubbermaid stock tank if you need to borrow it...

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
If you drain that over flow maybe you can install return pipes be for you take out the over flow. I wouldn't know if the one over flow would be enough though.

I agree, if ya gonna do it then drain the tank. I can imagine the infinite possibilities of potential disasters with that much water. If it were me, everything looks good in black paint!

drain the overflow, change bulkheads to threaded x threaded. use a pvc threaded plug from the bottom and top of each bulkhead fitting to seal the holes. the one on the bottom will be tighter as you have more leverage, the top is to make sure no junk gets in there besides some water. fill the overflow box and check it for leaks for a few days before cutting it out.

drain the overflow, change bulkheads to threaded x threaded. use a pvc threaded plug from the bottom and top of each bulkhead fitting to seal the holes. the one on the bottom will be tighter as you have more leverage, the top is to make sure no junk gets in there besides some water. fill the overflow box and check it for leaks for a few days before cutting it out.

This is what I was thinking. I was just not sure the one over flow would allow enough water thru it for both drains.

I would love to order a custom tank but currently the funds don't allow for that.. One day maybe..

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My first though was as others have suggested….paint it black. However, with a tad bit more thought, it being a peninsula, it’s got to go! Ligershark has nicely outlined how to go about doing it, but I’m not convinced you need to change the bulkheads. I’d leave whatever you have (probably slip) and just glue and cap what’s there. I’m also not sure how you’ll be able to cut out the old overflow with water and rock in the tank….I’m thinking that is not going to be easy.

My first though was as others have suggested….paint it black. However, with a tad bit more thought, it being a peninsula, it’s got to go! Ligershark has nicely outlined how to go about doing it, but I’m not convinced you need to change the bulkheads. I’d leave whatever you have (probably slip) and just glue and cap what’s there. I’m also not sure how you’ll be able to cut out the old overflow with water and rock in the tank….I’m thinking that is not going to be easy.

That was kind of my original thought. Just cap them (they don't currently leak), then cover/fill them with sand.

I have always kind of thought about it but after we were talking about overflows at Sunnys house (and a couple captains) I walk into my basement and was like that gotta go! I was thinking removing the overflow plastic would not be that bad?
It is just held on with silicone, right? A razor blade and some elbow grease.

The tank would look so different!

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
It's definitely possible to do. May be a bit tough with filled with water but not impossible. A razor blade should work, I have also heard of guys using thin braided fishing line like power pro. They start at the top with the razor blade then "pull" the power pro down cutting through the silicone. Hope that makes sense.

Removing silicone from glass is not a easy as it sounds. After you remove the bulk of it, there will be a residue that is not as easy to remove and will definitely be all over the tank if there is still water in it. As for just capping the bulkheads, would they not have to be perfectly clean to be able to accept a glue capable of sealing them completely. I think ligershark is onto something with the threaded caps.

Oh I have plenty of glass leftover from a tank breakdown that still has some silicone on it. You welcome to a piece, that way you get the idea about what I mean to get it off.