• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Overflow location suggestions

I'm gonna be helping a friend that has a 125 non-RR tank. He has been a victim of our wonderful LFS in SJ.
A little info on the tank is it's a 6' length x 24" height x18"depth. Top brace has three openings.

I'm gonna be drilling the tank with a glass-hole kit. Here is two options I'm thinking. Your input will be helpful.

1: two 700gal kits putting one in each corner and then placing the return in the middle.

2 : one 1300 gal kit putting it in one corner and the return in the other corner

Or if you guys have any other suggestions I'm a ears.

Thanks Jose.

If it were me, I'd go with the two 700's, and the return in the middle, using the 3/4" loc line fittings with a "Y", and two nozzles.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Slap the 1500 overflow right in the middle and have multiple returns on either side. I have a five foot tank with the 1500 GH with four returns.

10272133-9126-44b6-a7d4-f365a6f072fc_zps2c2da627.jpg

I don't think it matters from a functional point, which means you can't go wrong either way. I'd put it in the config that's most aesthetically pleasing to your eye - if there is a distinction.

falconut

NJRC Member
Agree with dppitone, it's probably a matter of preference. I have a 4' with the same height and width and my overflow if on the side and the return's on the other side. I've seen tanks with the two layouts you've got mentioned above and then seem fine.

Do you have an idea of how you want to aquascape it? Large rock structure in the middle, then maybe the corners are better. Two smaller rock structures with a valley in the middle, maybe a center overflow. Will it be viewable from the sides? Then maybe the center overflow will look better. I use powerheads to assist the flow inside the tank, so the return isn't doing all the water movement.

If it up against the wall I prefer the overflow on the side. Easier to get to and clean than a center. Using a ladder and bending over the tank to get to the overflow is a real P.I.T.A. And there is always an issue that needs dealing with ie. some dumb green chromis that repeatedly jumps into it and needs rescuing. And yes, my chromis is stupid enough to jump into the sump but not stupid enough to take the water slide into the sump. :)

Agree with dppitone, it's probably a matter of preference. I have a 4' with the same height and width and my overflow if on the side and the return's on the other side. I've seen tanks with the two layouts you've got mentioned above and then seem fine.

Do you have an idea of how you want to aquascape it? Large rock structure in the middle, then maybe the corners are better. Two smaller rock structures with a valley in the middle, maybe a center overflow. Will it be viewable from the sides? Then maybe the center overflow will look better. I use powerheads to assist the flow inside the tank, so the return isn't doing all the water movement.

The rock structure will follow the whole length of the tank off the glass. And will probably be half way up the tank.
Only viewable from the front and 1 side.
I will probably using a mag 5 of 7 for his return.
He will be getting 2 wp40's for his flow

Thanks for the suggestions so far. So far I'm considering go with option # 2.
I'm gonna see what he thinks of that option.

falconut

NJRC Member
It's setup just like mine, viewable from left side and front. I have the overflow on right side and return coming in from left. You might want to bump the return pump size up. I had a mag 7 on my smaller tank and it didn't move much water after the head loss. I'm currently using a mag 9.5 and it's a little light for the dual overflow. I had a mag 18, which was a little much. So, a Mag 12 would probably be perfect for mine. And my tank's only a 90 gallon. Just a thought. Check into the pump rates after head loss to try and match your overflows.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree with everyone in that either way will work. The only thing I would say is that by having 2 kits you have redundancy in case one somehow gets clogged. But that rarely happens, especially if you routinely clean and maintain them.

I'd say go with whatever will be less invasive on your viewing space.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I like the overflow in the middle or close to center. With corner overflows, if you don't have the flow just right, you wind up with surface film at the opposite end of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
.....I will probably using a mag 5 of 7 for his return.......

Whatever Glass-Holes option you go with....two 700's or one 1500, I'd go with a bigger return pump....either a MAG 9.5 or 12. You do have considerable head loss, even at four of five feet. I have a MAG 9.5 on my tank.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanx Paul. I guess sounds like I'll using a 9.5 or a 12. How's the flow thru your sump Paul with the 9.5?

Jose, first let me explain my sump…..the 1500 gpd GH overflow has two, 1 ½ inch drains that enter my sump in each corner. The right side is the refugium, while the left side is the filter sock and skimmer. The return section is in the middle. And it’s a 40 breeder.

My first DIY sump was testbook. I had two, three baffle bubble traps in the sump. One for the refugium and one for the skimmer section, as each drained into the return section. With my second attempt at the sump, I eliminated the bubble traps on the refugium side…with not problem. My last sump now has no bubble traps. And I get no bubbles back to my DT. The worst bubble producer in my sump is the cascade of water into the return section. Fortunately these few bubble never make it to the return pump.

acd69baa-cf63-4ea0-8a0c-4d921b6148c3_zps53624d6a.jpg

And YES, before anyone asks, my sump easily handles the volume of water when pumps are turned off. It was all calculated.