• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

overlighting disaster?

Is it possible that MH 150 w lights left on overnight could cause massive coral deaths?

I have a 180 gallon reef community tank. Mostly softies, zoos, lps. Fish, clams, a shrimp, one anenome, etc. Its almost 11 months old.

Saturday at 3 pm it was fine. We left the house empty, came back Sunday at 6 pm. In the interrim a babysitter came by to feed the fish. She's done it before with no issues at all. All of the corals were severely stress. Also the tank looked a little dirtier, filmier than usual. The protein skimmer was working over time. The sump smelled a little foul.

I immediately suspected the lights because 2 or 3 times in the past, the dial-type light timer missed its trigger to turn them off. Luckily each time we were home and turned them off manually. I replaced them once. Anyway, if that is what happened, they would have been on for 36 hours straight by the time I turned them off. The babysitter said when she fed them earlier on Sunday, the corals were more closed then usual.

The only other possibility I can think of, is a sea hare I bought a week ago that dissapeared immediately. I hear that they can become toxic when they die. But it was only one in a 180 tank. I suspect the lights. Sunday night I did a 10% water change. On monday I basically reset the lights to the same normal schedule, after a long night of recuperation, thinking that would be ok. But when I got home after they'd been on for about less than 6 hours, the tank looked even worse. I must have 80% of my corals dead. Now the tank smells even more foul. My cleaner shrimp is dead. The corals that are surviving (a mushroom, an open brain, some zoos) are barely surviving. The fish all seem fine.

Anyone have anything similar ever happen? I thought the overillumination, followed by additional toxicity as corals started to die as my main guess. Any thoughts or ideas? I've put it together and added stuff by the book. Weekly 10-15% water changes. No issues. All parameters have alsways been stable (other than minor salinity variability) No miscellaneas chems or anything like that.

- ready to give it all up.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Pulled this off of wiki regarding sea hares

When disturbed, a sea hare can release ink from its ink glands, providing a potent deterrent to predators. This release acts as a smoke screen, while at the same time, adversely affecting the smell sensors of their predators. In a small environment, this ink could be toxic to the inhabitants. The color of the ink is white, purple or reddish, depending on the color of the pigments in their seaweed food source. Their skin contains a similar toxin that renders sea hares largely inedible to many predators.

Found this on another board.

I've used the spotted ones in my tank and in friends tanks , they wipe out hair algea very fast and are the best for removing hair algea , now the bad news...........they are very delicate and need top water quality as far as nitrites and nitrates , also depending on the the fish/inverts you have , if the Sea Hare is picked on it will release a toxic ink that can crash a tank quickly , and last but not least no matter what you read they DO NOT take sheet algea , once it has rid your tank of all the hair algea , it needs to be relocated to another tank with ample algea to eat or it will die , and if you don't get it out fairly quickly after it dies ? You guessed it Crash . In closing Sea hares are the best at removing hair algea and can be used for this purpose only just remember the two most important parts .
1. Acclimate very slowly
2. Have a plan to relocate before you buy one .

I am sorry to hear about your tank. :-[

The only way I could see the MH causing this is if the UV shield was broken or not providing adequate coverage. Oh and heat, but on a 180... I'm leaning towards the sea hare as well.

hmm. I'm surprised. I'd never heard of them causing THAT much trouble. I guess I'll look more for him. And larger water changes, although most of the damage is done.

Still suspicious of the lights. Its very frustrating that I wasn't there and can't tell for sure.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yesterday I spent the evening helping a friend clean his 150gl because all his fish died in a matter of hours, when I broke down his sump pump I found a shredded anemone stuck in the impeler...his water smelled foul...I am really thinking about rehoming me anemone...if one can crash a 150gal...what would it do to my 75gal?

Rod

The lights could have triggered everything by causing a heat spike, that stressed the sea hare, that caused a toxic event, that killed a weakened coral or clam, etc.

What you need to do is get things stable now. Much larger water changes are in order. 30% at least and keep doing them until your nitrates/nitrites/ammonia look OK. Run some carbon or change it if you already use it. Get dead stuff out of the tank, but make sure it's really dead. Streesed corals can look like gonners but can make a comeback.

I agree do minimum 30% changes up to 50% if you can pull it off..heck if you have a canister filter run that too with carbon. Clean daily. Corals that look like no way they come back will. Two examples that I had, a frogspawn that I cooked has come back to almost normal(long recovery), pulsing xenia I bought from Ryan at last years swap looked like a decomposing mess by the time I got the rock into the tank, I now have two decent branches that just regrew. Believe me that later one was totally unexpected it looked like bait, but since it was small I just chucked the rock towards the rear of the tank figuring the crabs would eat it. ::)

Don't give up when you get the tank stable I will gladly give you some frags.

thanks for the advice and offers. It looks like a nuclear bomb went off in there. Unbelievable. Its shocking that the fish are all alive. out of about twenty corals, two mushrooms and one open brain appear to have survived. Thats about it.

what i dont understand is if you were only gone for one day ( or even 36 hours ) why are you having someone feed? personally i feed every 2-3 days if that ( some things sooner, some longer ) so i suggest next time feeding prior leaving and then once you return. this way YOU do it.

as for the tank, i have had a crash from what i suspect chemical warfare. i upgraded to a bigger tank and when i switched everything over it when milk white with 0 visability. most fish tend to live through the crashes. sorry to hear.

Re: overlighting disaster? - maybe not .. cracked heater.

Onefish: I have the babysitter feed the tank because of the fish, not the corals. I feed them twice a day. Mysis and enriched brine. Several won't eat pellets (bangaii's for example). And anthias and some others I think need food reasonably often. I'm sure they could have gone the day, but she was going to feed them while I was at work the next couple of days too (fam was away), and I figured she could start Sunday.

In any case, today I was doing another water change and noticed one more possible clue. I should have realize last time, but I had started getting little shocks when I had saltwater on my hands and happened to touch the lights. Now when I stuck my hand in the sump to move the heater, it gave me a very painful shock. I unplugged it and pulled it out. It was cracked and even had a pencil width or bigger hole in it. Who knows what it might have leaked into the tank. Plus a current clearly must have been going through the tank. Stupid of me not to act on it the first time I felt it on Saturday or sunday. I must have cracked it during the last water change.

Although if the thermometer leaked something toxic into the tank, how did all the fish survive?
Also I noticed today cleaning the sponge filter in the sump, that there were zero bugs on it. Zero. And usually there are tons crawling around. Not a good sign for my mandarins.

Yes, I've had a heater go bad that way also. I didn't get shocked, but it was a mess.

In any case, the electrical flow sure wasn't any good. Because it is possible to release some unwanted stuff into the water, I would recommend that you do some major partial water changes over the next couple of weeks. Yea, I know, it's the "universal cure" for water problems, and keeps the salt manufacturers in business. ;D

As for mandarins, I have sometimes been able to get them to eat live black worms and frozen blood worms. Yours may not, but it's worth a try.