• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Paint recommendation

I removed a large wall shelf from my home office wall and this is where my 180 will go. I was wondering what type of paint I should use to protect it. I was even thinking of mounting a thin acrylic protective sheet over the new paint around the water line. I was thinking Kilz.

You thoughts?

Mark...

typically oil based paint stands up to moist humid conditions better than latex paint. I've had issues with white Kilz & Glidden paints yellowing over time.

Killz, whether it is oil based, alcohol ("white pigmented shellac"), or latex will discolor over time as most primer paints will. Your best bet would be a premium acrylic latex (I am assuming that it is going on Sheetrock) over a quality primer. Most latex paints these days have come a long way since the beginnings. I would use a washable finish (they say flat is washable but that is BS) so maybe a satin or eggshell unless you want a glossy coat. I like MAB wall shield the best but Behr also makes a great acrylic latex as well. HTH

Killz, whether it is oil based, alcohol ("white pigmented shellac"), or latex will discolor over time as most primer paints will. Your best bet would be a premium acrylic latex (I am assuming that it is going on Sheetrock) over a quality primer. Most latex paints these days have come a long way since the beginnings. I would use a washable finish (they say flat is washable but that is BS) so maybe a satin or eggshell unless you want a glossy coat. I like MAB wall shield the best but Behr also makes a great acrylic latex as well. HTH

Thanks for the reply's. It is painted Sheetrock. We are fans of Behr and the eggshell finish would work out fine. I might add some plexi to the wall by the water line just to keep it clean.