• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pale spots on acro

So I noticed yesterday? that there is something wrong with one of my acro frags but idk what it is... At first i though could something be picking at it? but i'm wondering if something else is wrong? Here is a picture hopefully you can help me ID the problem :(
acrofragspots.jpg

Btw i did move it about 2 weeks ago to the other side of the tank about the same height though and i started dosing small amount of vinegar.

Thank you,
~Nick

Hmm i trying to look closely to make sure i didn't have any pest when i noticed another sps (forget the name) has a few spots on it too. Both of these sps are close to leathers as you can see in the picture. Do you think it's coral warfare?

john90009

NJRC Member
well that isnt good is that there is little polyp extension meaning that something is pestering it, what fish do you have? coral warfare wouldn't do that maybe keep the polyps annoyed, looks like something ripped the tissue off or eat it- whats you alk at?

Thanks, The PE used to be like 1/4" sometimes but lately thats it, thats why i moved it in the first place. I haven't added anything in about 3months could AEFW live that long without eating??? I'll go test alk and Cal in a few. I talked to my uncle about it and he reminded me that my Bi color Blenny killed one of my Digis awhile back, think he could of picked at it along with the other sps?

Crap Alk is good : 8.0 but my Ca is really low 280, it was 420 2 weeks ago o.0 I'll correct that over the next few days... Do you think thats what caused it? My other corals look fine just this Acro

john90009

NJRC Member
280? try testing it again i never heard anyones going low like that lol- make sure you test calcium again before you dose anything.

Yeah i know, I think it had something to do with my Alk was out of whack and i was dosing the same amount of Ca as normal but i was adding more Alk so i must of threw off my Ca...
I retested everything this morning after i added a little Ca it's now 420 and 10 DKH. Also lugol's dipped the acro a little more skin fell off but as of now it looks the same as from after the dip.

I'd recommend keeping your Alk closer to 8-9...Natural Saltwater is 7-8.

Did anything come off except for flesh when you did the dip?? Do you have Revive??

Ok i'll lower it alittle. Well all i seen was red ish stuff, i figured it was the flesh but if you mean like bugs then no. I noticed the other sps that i mentioned earlier is getting worst too but my other sps are fine... Acro,digis,birdness,caps,etc

Little update. Hasn't gotten any worst, PE starting to come out. I'm thinking it might of been that devils hand slimed up and when the flow blew it off it got caught on the acro and caused it to bleach...

Acro eating flatworms? I see the other digi on the left side of the picture is not doing so well also... If it is not bugs then it is your parameters...

AWEFs usually show up perfectly little round bite marks first that spread to big patches. You would see the perfect bite marks somwhere if it were them.

Alk issues usually cause STN at base and tips.

That looks like a contact with another coral to me. The effect is made worse when you have low Alk as bad algae quickly populate the bare coral skeleton adding to the stress on the coral. I like Alk in the high 9's but have to work at it to keep it there ... too many SPS I supose ::)

At least that's what I see from my experiences.