• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

palytoxin in the news

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't know xenia corals could cause that. I thought it was only zoas n palys

Sounds like a case of mis information to me, an a case of exaggeration.. Polytoxin doesnt just get airborne by taking a coral out of the tank.. I saw it said 3 Diffrent things first he was taking the rocks out to clean them if I read right he used the turn scrub them second it said he power washed his tank out and the third he said he just took it out of the water.. The only one that makes some sense for the kinda mass casualty described is the power wash, scrubbing only seems like potential local exposure.. And well taking the coral out of the water unless he did so with his mouth or eye balls or bloody hands I don't see that effecting the entire family.

Also 2 days later he called 911 or the next day not really sure but Polytoxin going airborne only lingers briefly be for settling down its a vapor so that means its wet molocules float until they land and then dry up idk how the fire fighters woulda been exposed unless he was actively cleaning it when they came into help him.

As for xenia's I don't believe they contain it I never heard of that but I was aware Polytoxin is listed as found in coral so maybe..
Most likely there was zoas or palys on,the rocks and he boiled then or cleajed them in,the kitchen,sink and then,did the dishes which were then,used for eating

My best guess

yea also I noticed the article is only citing some lesser known news source and all the information is in the form of statements by the victim. I assume it would be a bigger story or will become one if its verified.