• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Palytoxin

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]If you have any Palys you should definitely read this.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

Yesterday I decided to clean some palys off my clam. I was using a toothbrush but could not get them all off. I then used my fingers to pluck them off. I had a hatch later on so I stayed up a few more hours than usual. I began feeling feverish and had trouble breathing. I went to bed and I had bad cold sweats and heart palpitations. I thought I was feeling bad because of handling the palys knowing that they have some toxins. I had no idea how lethal they could be.

I woke up in the morning after the little sleep I could get with a killer headache, body aches and feeling very weak. I looked up the toxicity of the palys and found out they were the most toxic non protein nuerotoxin on known on the planet.

I found that less than .3 micrograms can kill a human. It is absorbed through the skin as well as can be introduced other ways into the body.

I learned a tough lesson. I guess it could have been worse.

24 hours later and I am still feeling the effects.

Here is the same palys covering the same clam coincidentally. http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/n...adliest-poison-in-an-aquarium-store-near-you/

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
John, Glad you are ok now .. I do remember some time ago about Brown palys being toxic but never knew that bad..maybe next time Kalk paste them or something

I did use Kalk paste to finish the job off. After all I went through trying to clean up the clam it is not doing well. I don't know if it was the toxin from the palys or the kalk paste. I tried to only put the paste on the shell.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Oh ok.. Maybe Paul B's zapper like we talked about earlier? that should melt them.. Just make sure to run carbon when doing it.. BTW ..hope the clam makes it

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow John. Glad you are ok, but sorry about the clam. I think we should all learn from this experience and be extra careful when eradicating things in our tanks. It can't hurt to put on a pair of latex gloves first and now we know it's not a good idea to breath in any steam that might come out when you kill them.

Thanks for sharing John.

Same thing happened to me, except I touched my eye and starting loosing vision. I thought it was my contact, but even after taking it out it got cludier and cloudier. Felt like my eye was super dry and could feel it scraping my eyelid when I blinked. Sucked bad.