• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

PAR from sunlight through window?

Hello All,

Thought I would ask if anyone knew what percentage of the suns PAR or PUR would pass through a double pane window? My tank has been getting a lot of sunlight since the trees lost their leaves in the fall. This has caused to algae because my nutrients are very low, however I do think it might be bleaching some of my LPS. Does anyone has any insight on this?

Thanks,

Joe

My tank is close to a window and i had to completely block off the light that entered the room. Otherwise my tank grew algae on the glass in 2 days. After I blocked out the sun the glass stays clean from algae for at least a week or two. I would try tint the window or get some shades. But to answer your question on PAR I really don't know. No way to really test it.

I do not know the amount but would have to think yes in this case. How would a double pane be much different than the the glass cover protecting most lighting systems. You are probably not getting much uv but I'm sure your have photosynthetic light. A photon is a photon....and your lps now bleaching agree.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm going to assume you have low e glass. Low e cuts about 5 to 10 percent of visible light while taking both UV and IR down to very very low levels. If you look at photosynthetic response cuvres,

response-photosynthesis.jpg

only a smig of of UV and IR are included. Accordingly I would guess that PAR is similarly reduced by approximately 5 to 10 percent. Most of the "good" light is coming through.

I'm going to assume you have low e glass. Low e cuts about 5 to 10 percent of visible light while taking both UV and IR down to very very low levels. If you look at photosynthetic response cuvres,

response-photosynthesis.jpg

only a smig of of UV and IR are included. Accordingly I would guess that PAR is similarly reduced by approximately 5 to 10 percent. Most of the "good" light is coming through.

Thanks Paul, this is exactly what I was looking for an yes I have low e glass. Time to go to the store for the best blinds I can find. And I love where the picture is from "howtogrowmarijuana.com" haha!