• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Patient zero! Need to borrow a large rubbermaid

Do you QT your fish if yes for how long

• Yes

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • For a few days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • For 4 weeks

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I leave them in the bag and float em and drop them in

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
So it happened.. Years of unprotected fish insertion into my tank has finally caught up to me...
My fish have crabs... Well parasites... I knew there was something fishy.. About a fish in a tank in the shop I purchased my tang from.. Diffrent tank but I am sure it was a all inclusive system..
2 weeks all seemed well.. Then my trigger started acting strange rubbing his face against rocks in a strange manor.. But 2 days later nothing.. Then boom! 3 fish have spots.... The tanks on lock down.. I will have to remove all the fish and place them in A QT tank bare no rock or sand treat with copper .. And leave the ich in the main tank to starve for about 4 weeks probably more..
So here's the favor I need.. I need a QT tank ... It doesnt have to be a tank it could be a rubber maid bin has to be at least 40 gallons that I can borrow for a couple of weeks... I promise I will cure it be for I return it.. Also in a show of good faith that I have learned my dirty lesson for not using protection I will post a nice arrival about ich/marine velvet its life cycle ... How it kills/eats our fish ... The symptoms.. And how to treat it... Not only that I will add pictures of what my poor judgement has done so the next time we make the joke about who actually uses the QT tank you can all point and say Dumb @$$!
I live in Howell I'm free all day and will be available to pick up immediately

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Sorry to read! Wish I could help

My corals also get quarantined when I purchase them. I do Bayer and Coral RX on corals and QT for 72days. The ick parasite can live on the coral. No dipping will remove it.

So question . today I've only noticed spots on the tang and all other fish seem healthy should I remove the tang to save the rest? I know its sad but I dont think he has a chance with how covered he is. Sacrifice?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I would be concerned about stressing out the other fish and having a second outbreak.
Tough call. Good luck.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Jeremy. It really depends what you are trying to do. At this point you have ick. And any stress factor will trigger another “event horizon “. Your two options are ick mgmt or ick eradictiOn

Mgmt would me to feed the heck out of the tank and pray that nothing happpens

Eradication means pulling all Fish out and treating with hypo or copper for 30 days and setting up a qt for all future purchases.
Having gone through a few event horizons. Which resulted in total losses. I lean toward eradication.

Your call. But chasing the Fish will stress it and your tank. But leaving it would cause an epidemic as well. Again depends on what you want to do.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Jeremy

I have a rubbermaid container you can use if you want. I think it's 100 gallon. I'm in Little Egg Harbor if you want to come pick it up, or I'm in Eatontown again on Friday if you can wait.

Dave

Hey guys I just wanted to touch base on the survey to clarify.
Its 2 parts,the first part is the question do you QT your fish? Yes or no.
The second part is if yes for how long? A few days or 4 weeks ( I know this is a hard answer but think of it like this the 4 weeks answer is just a generalization for a longish period of time and does not mean an actual 4 week period I just used that as a generalization to give an,idea of time frame.
The Last answer about bag dumping is for those who answered no to part 1 of the survey.
I hope this clears it up a little, but feel free to ask questions.
The survey is to get a general idea of what we as the hobbiest are more likely to do, and from there figure out what has worked and what doesnt. Maybe some of us have great luck and some don't or maybe its the source of the fish that protects us I hope to make this a learning experience for all.
I recently watched a YouTube video from bulkreefsupply that was part of there 52 week series of reefing the episode was regarding illness, its causes, treatment, and prevention. It was a very good piece and there was a part in the video in which it was stated that it isn't common for the average reefer to be able to do the things required to keep a tank 100 prevent disease free but explained how we can be safer ill try and link it for you all its worth the watch.
Lastly the results so far on my survey are interesting and I'd like to see if we can make it better and maybe make it a survey of the week on the clubs home page so we can,get a larger participation.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
For me, it's bag float to temp then drip acclimate for usually around an hour or so

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I quarantine everything! Fish, corals, clams, anemones, live rock, mobile invertebrates, and everything else that is wet.. Not for just ich but all the pests, pathogens, and predators that has destroyed entire tanks over frustration with other coral/algae pests from frags; while you can separate fish and eliminate ich (and most diseases) in a hospital tank without essentially resetting the display.... If it is on a plug, I will try to remove before QT.

QT= 4 weeks for fish. Corals and everything else gets 10 weeks.

Last edited:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I bag float and add DT water to it over time, about every 10 mins for around 30 mins then I catch it and release.

However, I try my best to carefully select my purchase. If anything looks bad in the same tank or surrounding tanks I will not purchase anything.

falconut

NJRC Member
I had the same thing happen over the summer, except the fish I added was QT'd at the LFS for a month, but still brought ich. Watched it disappear, then reappear, go away, then reappear in my DT over many weeks. Each time more fish were infected. I wound up pulling all fish out & treating with copper for 4 weeks & left my DT fish less for 76 days. All the fish made it, but the process was very long and flat out sucked. But my tank is now clean & I won't add another fish without treating & QTing it no matter what the LFS tells me they've done.

Good luck either way you go. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to treat them all. I know, it wasn't what I wanted to hear either.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I would agree that they all need to be treated. You need to let your DT go fallow for at 72 days.