• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Paul’s 240 Gallon upgrade!

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Hey. I noticed you have mp10s. Given the size of the tank. The mp10s may not work. The glass may be too thick.

Everything else. Looks awesome !!!!!

Hey. I noticed you have mp10s. Given the size of the tank. The mp10s may not work. The glass may be too thick.

Everything else. Looks awesome !!!!!

Yea. I’m slightly concerned but from what I read it hasn’t been an issue for people. I’ll cross my fingers and hope for the best. Kind of expecting a problem so I’m thinking the MP40s will go with some maxspect gyres if it doesn’t work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I have two MP10s supplementing two MP40s. They can hold on half inch glass, but must have the cabling supported. Still easy to knock off, but they’ll hold.

Taking shape. Update from the builder while I’m away.

28251bcfb0390cc1492bf2ffe2b6573a.jpg

I suppose this deserves a topic upgrade! Just got word the stand is ready for powder coating tomorrow. I’ll swing by to pick it up on Tuesday and hopefully powder coated this week. Not sure when the tank will be ready but the builders told me to expect some picture updates tomorrow!

Update 09/18/18:

Came home from a long trip and found me another box of toys in the garage.
7cb311cbe45944459bda9813acb59abd.jpg

0735c6f6e59a3266879102ab9b1a43c8.jpg

This time, it’s the Exotic Marine Systems, 35” over flow.
6dd43a019df721b845f2e972be47d0c3.jpg

80122be70c53d265563293380b3a9369.jpg

18f1694dd1a0fc7388636f97dfca70aa.jpg

ea6951eaf1dd56cbfd73a26c7c364a9e.jpg

So, I’m starting to really get used to walking up to the front door and finding presents. I like it even more when the UPS guy is thoughtful enough to cover my packages with a plastic bag to keep them dry. This makes me happy!

319545eea95e2a152a9ebba5fcfa6f31.jpg

What’s inside? Well, I’ve recently been trying to get a hold of a slight aiptasia problem and have debated whether or not I should “nuke” the existing rock in bleach or acid and just start fresh. This, as we know, will basically kill anything beneficial on the rock as well. I decided to continue the battle in a more natural way...

fa8f9c0bc957e6d524f4f5a571e764af.jpg

15 peppermint shrimp
15cfe9ffb89bfa3ef093eb2efca5bc52.jpg

And in the other, a little help from the swabbie between maintenance.
e1c1df96386e14fe8ae7427cc292ab38.jpg

1fb3bbd765040b34d5ab13297baaf8f5.jpg

I also got the call from my stand builder to pick up my stand! It’s ready! I’ll be taking it for powder coating tomorrow but I’m being told the lead time is roughly 2 weeks which should coincide with my aquarium delivery!

Peppermint shrimp and a copper band butterfly worked for me as well. Your tank is probably to big to use nudibranchs.

Are you going to use the 180 for a refugium?

As a side note, dont drink ro/di water it's not good for you. Some put the drinking water tank after the ro but before the di.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Peppermint shrimp and a copper band butterfly worked for me as well. Your tank is probably to big to use nudibranchs.

Are you going to use the 180 for a refugium?

As a side note, dont drink ro/di water it's not good for you. Some put the drinking water tank after the ro but before the di.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nope. I reached out to the guy who sold me the 180 and he was super apologetic. The tank was pretty dirty on pick up and he wasn’t aware of it. We came up with a solution that both of us were happy with so I no longer have that tank. My 125 will become the sump plus one of the 40 breeders will remain the refugium. I’m debating a frag tank for the added water volume....because I don’t have a whole lot to frag yet lol

And yes, the plan is to put the drinking water after the RO membranes and before the DI

Update: 08/19/18

Stand is done and awaiting powder coat. I had it in the house as some rain for forecast overnight so I had a chance to take some comparison pictures and oh my. I always thought the 125 was a large tank until I put this stand next to it. Anyhow, it’s going back on the pick up for powder coating later today. Should be done in about 2 weeks time.

3794fc8b0ee152236f268dfbdd915882.jpg

d7c8af45ccd585c9822aa68a3a998fc2.jpg

The thing is a tank. Speaking of which, if you’re in need of a metal stand, the guys name is John and I found him on Monster Fish Keepers forum. He’s done a ton of stands for some guys and gals on there and is local to northern jersey. I honestly can’t recommend him enough. Shoot me a PM and I’ll send you his info if anyone needs a steel stand.

Paul

Last edited:
That is one hugh stand! good luck and can't wait to see the tank setup

Isn’t it? Oh man. We both (fiancé and I) had a silent moment of “this thing is BIG”.

Well, I got a lot done today but not much show for it. Had to take a trip to Lowe’s and that took too long but I managed to get some 5/8 plywood for the top and cut it to shape.
bfae9083c2a9df7f32ecca0f771d6c6b.jpg

ccca44dcd24d83b3d3f2c302655850eb.jpg

I got the QT tank cleaned up, moved out of the fish room and ready for some new additions. The stand for the 125 sump is all done just awaits paint.
b3433ae48c2b71346ba3a69d7a3d179b.jpg

So, at this point, I wait. I still have to wash and bleach new dead live rock and await the tank deliver and the stand to come back. In the mean time, here’s my other obsession... don’t judge me

Last year, we had a few dead ash trees taken down that threatened out home. The tree service had promised to clean up the brush mess the next day and we paid them in full. Well, long story short, they never showed. It ruined our lawn. But! It motivated me to bring it back. So, I got to reading and walking and getting way too familiar with my grass lol. But I’ve come to truly “enjoy the mow” and after two weeks, the grass was in desperate need of some mow. Okay, enough of the derailment. I spent a few hours mowing, spraying and edging.
8de0dbe0aa76d194c0010ee08f7ba20f.jpg

Paul

Small update,

As mentioned earlier, cleaned out the QT tank last night. Today I got it set up because I had a plan to visit Iconic Aquarium and “look.”

Filling the QT with RO water.
642adcf07ff9b4bee8bb1fc191808386.jpg

5e3f9f7fb79b07cdab93dc33f1c2fee3.jpg

It’s pretty basic. A 40 breeder with two 200 watt heaters, one power head and a duel wheel penguin HOB filter. The HOB gets two pieces of foam out of my DT sump. This way, it’s always seeded with bacteria. That’s all.

As far as my QT regiment, I observe for 4-5 days and do my best to get them eating. Once they eat, I do two treatments of prazipro and then onto copper for 30 days. After copper, I do a large water change and observe for another 3-4 days. I may switch things up and do the TTM with two 10 gallon tanks.

What did I get? I’ll show ya tomorrow!

-Paul

Well, as promised. But first. I have already mentioned that I’ve been battling aiptasia. Determined to take a natural approach to eradicating them, or at least controlling, I recently ordered 15 peppermint shrimp. Well, I didn’t share this with you because so far it hasn’t been going well. I’ll explain.

I have this wrasse... enough said. Long story short, he immediately went after 3 shrimp and successfully... ate them. Now, that leaves me with 12. Which is fine as I was expecting some DOA, was just hoping it wasn’t by one of mine. Anyway, to help the peppermints out, I was thinking either a file fish or a copper band. I’ve tried Copperband before and they’ve been extremely tough for me. I manage to him alive and eating, through QT and when he got to the display, he couldn’t keep up with my aggressive eaters. So, with his health deteriorating, I decided to give him to someone more experienced then I. But I didn’t want to go through that again. So, I went to Iconic Aquarium and expressed my concerns and Joe there recommended a muellers butterfly. I hesitated but ended up bringing him home. I’m happy to say, he’s eating like a pig after less then 24 hours in QT. So, took out a piece of acrylic from my refugium with a ton of aiptasia growing on it... and this is what happened

Last edited:

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Good luck with the aiptasias. Your video doesn't work and the message states: " Video unavailable. This video has been removed for violating YouTube's Terms of Service"