• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Perfect storm...

Last weekend I did a water change, added a couple heaping cups of kalk powder to my 30 gallon make-up tank, and dropped the ro/di hose in the make-up tank to fill it up. Of course I forgot to turn the water off and went to bed. Normally it would just overflow into my basement sump so no big deal. Except for some dumb reason I moved the output hose for the auto top off to a different location in the sump and didn’t realize it was below the top of the make-up water tank (freshly loaded with kalk powder). So during the night the makeup water tank gets filled by the ro/di and starts to overflow just as the auto top off pump kicks in and fills the sump. But with the pump hose too low in the sump, it creates a siphon after the pump shut off. It starts siphoning all that kalk into my sump and the ro/di filter keeps filling the makeup tank helping every bit of kalk get into the sump. Needless to say I lost a lot in my 200 gallon system. Including a beautiful blasto that I got from Phyllis in 2007 as a one-head frag that now has (had) almost 100 heads, ALL of my acans and chalices including an Alien Eye about 6" across, and a bunch of other corals. Most of the zoas survived though. So after doing several big water changes it looks like things are stabilizing. And somehow my two duncan colonies with about 50 heads made out fine.

That sucks. Something similar happened to me a few years ago, my float switch in my sump failed so my ro unit kept pumping fresh water into my tank making it a fresh water tropical tank.

malulu

NJRC Member
is Kalk really that evil?

I am going to setup my Kalk reactor soon, and i would NOT set it up as gravity feed, it would be DRAW with a dosing pump with a set amount of quality daily.

is Kalk really that evil?

I am going to setup my Kalk reactor soon, and i would NOT set it up as gravity feed, it would be DRAW with a dosing pump with a set amount of quality daily.

Actually, it is pumped but it turned into a siphon when I moved the hose too low.

Greg shoot me a PM if you need a hand with anything.

Thanks Mike. Everything that made it seems OK now.

I hate losing sentimental stuff that I've had for many years, like corals that I got from JerseyWendy, Mott, Jrod, etc - the guys that aren't around anymore.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sad news Greg. Glad you were able to salvage some stuff though.

Do you remember who you may have given some frags of things you lost? Maybe you could get some back?

malulu

NJRC Member
Actually, it is pumped but it turned into a siphon when I moved the hose too low.

thank you for pointing that out...
i guess, i would have to find someway to prevent that...

just on top of my head, how about the OUTLET would be positioned HIGH & out of the water, so it would not have the siphon effect, would it work?
(the worse scenario would be the outlet tip may be dried up and clog up... but that would be fine, no harm done? )

thank you for helping...

Sorry for your losses Greg. Had something very similar happen to me a few weeks ago and had a kalk overdose because of siphoning. It was all my fault because I moved something and in my mind I said "dont forget to move that back" and sure enough it did. Ive decided not to do tank maintenance at night anymore for the simple reason that Im tired and make mistakes when that happens.
Steve

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but David... you could always attach a piece of pvc pipe to the corner of the sump, and have it terminate below water level and extend up higher than the sump rim. Then just let the outlet tube sit a few inches down into the pvc pipe. That will keep the kalk water from splashing around and still give you the protection against siphon since the outlet tube won't be submerged.

You could use any small diameter pvc, as long as it's big enough so that the tube you're using isn't wedged in and sealing it off (ie. make sure there is an air gap at the top of the pipe).

malulu

NJRC Member
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but David... you could always attach a piece of pvc pipe to the corner of the sump, and have it terminate below water level and extend up higher than the sump rim. Then just let the outlet tube sit a few inches down into the pvc pipe. That will keep the kalk water from splashing around and still give you the protection against siphon since the outlet tube won't be submerged.

You could use any small diameter pvc, as long as it's big enough so that the tube you're using isn't wedged in and sealing it off (ie. make sure there is an air gap at the top of the pipe).

George,
got it, make sense... (NOTE: i will try to find some transparent tube/pipe).
thx

Greg,
hope you don't mind... the Q/A on how to prevent kalk overdose is *sort of* related to this thread... :p
sorry for your losses... unfortunately i don't have corals to offer yet... may be few more months later i will have some bigger corals to offset some of your losses.