• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Permission to upgrade but just thoughts for now

So I got the permission to upgrade my tank. With all that I have now my wife had a moment of pity and...well I seized the moment. I was going 90 but Jgraz and others have convinced me to go 120. So I ask for ideas of style and brand. A point to note is this will be my final size unless we move and I am with a full basement.
Current tank is a standard 55 gal and I hate the depth and how much space the overflow takes. My sps are doing well to the point that ANY TIME i put my hand in i frag something!The problem with glass cages is you have all the plumbing out the back and this will be in our great room, so side visual is obvious.
Thoughts are appreciated,
Pete

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Pete, I think my feeble mind remembers that you might have been limited to four feet. If that is not the case, I would highly recommend going to a180. This is the “ideal” tank, with the six foot length and two foot depth, for fantastic rock work, and no problem from the tang police with almost whatever fish you want. This would be your “final” upgrade. Go for the 180!

Pete, I think my feeble mind remembers that you might have been limited to four feet. If that is not the case, I would highly recommend going to a180. This is the “ideal” tank, with the six foot length and two foot depth, for fantastic rock work, and no problem from the tang police with almost whatever fish you want. This would be your “final” upgrade. Go for the 180!

Hmmmmmmmmm

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
And here is my second recommendation…..you divorce that wife of yours, and I marry her, and we could both have upgrades! :eek: :grin:

I bought a Deep blue 48x24 from hidden reef a few months back. The all glass was nice but i felt the overflows being in the middle took up precious space for aquascape. The Deep Blue has dual overflows in both corners where most dont keep anything anyway. Prior to the new Deep Blue i had a perfecto that cracked from end to end at its base after a year. Im not saying there tanks are poorly built but i want u to know my experience to help in your decision.

Why are you limited to Glass Cages? Why not just get an RR where the plumbing comes out of the bottom?
So I got the permission to upgrade my tank. With all that I have now my wife had a moment of pity and...well I seized the moment. I was going 90 but Jgraz and others have convinced me to go 120. So I ask for ideas of style and brand. A point to note is this will be my final size unless we move and I am with a full basement.
Current tank is a standard 55 gal and I hate the depth and how much space the overflow takes. My sps are doing well to the point that ANY TIME i put my hand in i frag something! The problem with glass cages is you have all the plumbing out the back and this will be in our great room, so side visual is obvious.
Thoughts are appreciated,
Pete

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I picked up a 120g used dirt cheap that I plan to setup in a month or two. I purchased it for the depth but the dual overflows are off center and not in the corners, which would make aquascaping easier. If I have a pic will post here.

buy a non RR & build an external overflow on the short end? glass holes? I don't know if standard 120s can be drilled or if they normally come tempered. but if not tempered, why not just buy & setup how you want?

also, im with Paul.. go 180 & never upgrade again :)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Is this tank going to be setup pennisula style? Is that why you need viewing from both sides? If so take a look at the elos 120xl. If it truly is going to be your last tank, and you want small overflows, and the ability to put the tank any which way you want, take a look.

And just for the heck of it, I'll throw another tank out there for you to consider. MarineLand 200 Deep Dimension. That would meet your 4' criteria, and give you more then enough space to scape anyway you want and still have plenty of room for a good chunk of the fish population. Even with the overflows there is still plenty of space in the 36'width.

Is this tank going to be setup pennisula style? Is that why you need viewing from both sides? If so take a look at the elos 120xl. If it truly is going to be your last tank, and you want small overflows, and the ability to put the tank any which way you want, take a look.

I will look later tonight, viewing from both sides would be nice. A bigger tank sounds great on paper but since I do not have a basement like most, I need to lug all my new water changes. Not the greatest idea when your tank reaches huge proportions.

I will look later tonight, viewing from both sides would be nice. A bigger tank sounds great on paper but since I do not have a basement like most, I need to lug all my new water changes. Not the greatest idea when your tank reaches huge proportions.

Pete, shoot me a pm or stop by the store and I can set up a consultation with some options for you!!! It can't hurt to look at all options. We have every Elos tank in the store filled with water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim(Downbeach) has a 180 with no basement sump. he runs everything right under his tank :) DOOOO IT!