• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pest control around the aquarium

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Found this on a FB site. Where I live now the dog has many fleas. My wife constantly bathes and combs her. Does anyone have this issue? Have you tried this or anything else that worked?

Mods I did copy this post and omitted the person's name. If not allowed please delete.

Speaking as technical director for a pest control company with a PhD in entomology, bug bombs are among the most dangerous and least effective methods of pest control. My recommendation is to read some university extension articles about the pests you want to control and/or hire a pest control company. If you absolutely want to tackle this on your own, I’d recommend first upping the sanitation game (vacuum everywhere in your house. Then do it again. Vacuum at least weekly, if not more, until the problem is resolved) and making sure you’ve excluded all non-pet hosts. If you have fleas but no pets, you probably have some sort of mammal or bird wildlife nesting in or immediately adjacent to your home. Mammalian pets should be treated with a species-appropriate EPA registered flea and tick medication, preferably something that combines a knock-down insecticide and an insect growth regulator. A veterinarian could advise you on the best products for your animals. After all that is done, I’d use NyGuard Plus to treat for the fleas, specifically targeting areas of heavy flea activity and pet resting/bedding areas. During the NyGuard treatment, turn off all pumps and cover the tank with something impermeable, like a tarp, for about 4 hours or until the product is completely dried. Something permeable like a towel or blanket may allow some product through, which could potentially expose your fish to a small dose. The NyGuard Plus has some knockdown power thanks to its pyrethroid content, but really shines as an insect growth regulator. If the NyGuard Plus still doesn’t get the job done, consider working Bedlam Plus into the mix, which combines pyrethroids and neonicotinoids for a strong knock-down punch. Bedlam Plus won’t have as long a residual and is marginally more toxic, which is why I’d save it for a last-ditch effort.

Going back to your actual question, the best way to protect your fish is to not bomb the house and use safer, more effective pest control methods.

For ALL pesticide applications, carefully read the entire label and follow the instructions. The label is the law.