• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pet Shanty on Rt.22 west in Scotch Plains

I have bought from them but was never happy with anything I got there. Take the time to drive west about 20 minutes and go to TRI, much better stock. I will say that before TRI opened PS was the only place around central Jersey that had any odd things, but u really have to look hard to find them. (at PS)
GL
Mike.

what is a TRI and where is it. I like going to Ocean Gallery , they take care of you if you are a regular customer, and if you lose a fish they usalley take care of you the next time you go to buy.

Reefaholic,
TRI, aka, The Reefs Inc is on route 22 west, in Tower Plaza, 288rt 22 west, Greenbrook, NJ, 732 424 2050, fax at 732 424 2051. Talk to Carolyn or Bob.
Mike.

I have been to that store but I havent bought anything from there yet. I felt there prices are a little bit high, but great looking tanks though. Have you bought any fish or coral from them and if you did how are they.

I have bought a green wrasse (not bird wrasse) from them a year ago, it is doing well. I got a copperband butterlfy from them six months ago, he succumb to a power head in the middle of the night. Just replaced CBB and the new one is doing fine. Got a pavona cactus when they first got corals in, it is growing like a weed and many local reefers have shared this pavona, I keep breaking off large frags cleaning my glass and give them away. I also got a favia about a year ago, it is also doing well. Steve68 said his pavona frag is growing, but I think Lago lost his. I agree that TRI is a bit pricey but every thing I bought from them is still alive and growing, sans the 1 st CBB which could not be helped, I have since put a screen over the PH. The nice thing is that a lot of my subcontractors are in the springfield union area, so when I need to send parts down that way, I tell my sister, who is my office assistant, that I need a "so and so" and she picks it up for me.
HTH
Mike.

I've bought some stuff from PS. Can't say I was impressed, but it lived. My fav. is still TRI. I know they're expensive, but you certainly get what you paid for with them.

Mike, have you broken off any pavona lately? ;D

FYI - my parents just retired yesterday, so you can't go back to Whitehouse and visit anymore... <-that should give you enough info. to figure out who I am :)

Yes Caine I saw that in the newspaper, congradulate your dad for me when you see him or speak to him. You know u are getting old when your grade school PE teacher retires!!!!!LOL!

You are next in line for the Pavona frag anyway, I did it in the order I met you all personally, its the only fair way I could think of, not sure if it makes sense but it did to me at the time.

How are the zoo's growing that we bought together? Mine are doing quite well, some of the frags that had 5-8 zoos on them now have about 40, others did not fare as well, but I didn't lose any. The one orange zoo plug that had 4 polyps, now has 8! The way I put them in my tank is that I glued the frags to larger pieces of LR, I think by the Fall (I hate that word) there should be enuf grown onto my LR, where I can just break off the original fragment and give that to you to grow out.

You remember that toadstool I had in my tank on the right? It is now 14 inches tall!! Joe Lago gave me a colt frag that is growing like a weed, I think the two are competeing to see who can grow out the tank top the fastest.
KIT
Mike.

Mike glad to see all is well! Hope the leg mended OK. As you can imagine, my father is VERY happy right now. Actually, they still are in the mindset that it is summer vacation. (I guess after 32 you could get into quite a habit of being used to summer vacation) I think retirement will really hit my parents in September. I was telling them yesterday, it's probably one of the only times a child can live vicariously through their parents. :D

The zoos are doing well. Two types are kinda struggling, but the orange centered ones are growing like crazy. They all kinda changed to be the same color. I guess it's the power of my halides. I might be picking up more zoos (cray colors) from TRI today. They shoudl hold their colors since Bob runs pretty strong lighting.

Looking forward to the Pavona, I think it's a very fair way to distribut frags. Glad to see the toadstool is doing well, remeber how worried you were when I was there? :) I have to frag mine too soon, it's getting very big as well. I have a spaghetti leather that needs fragging this weekend. If I get enough pieces, I'll drop a frag or two off for you, unless you want to come over and see my tanks.

Talk to ya soon,
Caine

BTW - if you hate Fall, use Autumn 8)

I actually like Pet Shanty. Perhaps not the biggest selection in town, but nice folks, pretty knowledgeable and don't have to be on a first name basis with them to get any help --like at Ocean Galleries II. Which, by the way, there is not Ocean Galleries I; seems a bit deceptive to me.

I only went in TRI once, seems like a nice enough place, but man what lousy signs. I mean they look nice, but I must have drove by them 100s of times with knowing they were there.

There was a Ocean Gallery 1 at one time, It was up in the Bloomfield area about 10 years ago. The owners closed down that one and open this one.

Yeah, well that goes to Ocean Gallery II's half truth view of life I guess.

If one existed at some time, I guess we can make this one #2. And, if people think we're more sucessfull than we are and have multiple locations, who are to correct them ;)

You really have to watch these folks they are snakes!

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I do not agree with that statement that Ocean Gallery are snakes. Gary andCraig are nice guys. I get a lot of my livestock from there. I'm not saying it isn't without it's problems..but what LFS isn't?

Pet Shanty does have some nice rock from time to time and they are pretty knowledgeable...I just purchased some rock and baby clown trigger from there last week.

$25.00 for the clown! Pretty sweet. He is doing well so far.

I actually looked up TRI based on this thread.. I actually found another thread elsewhere while I was googling that was only a couple days old.

This place is OUT OF BUSINESS. The Store is Empty. The phone number has been disconnected. TRI is no longer around. Unless they moved or decided a storefront was too expensive. Shame I never got to visit them. Does anyone know if they are working out of their home now? A website?

Mynd,

TRI went out of business a couple of months ago. Appears to have been a problem between boyfriend and girlfriend. Boyfriend opened new store in Hillsborough (Eagle Reef System - or something like that). You can search on here to see the post about the store.

Excellent, Thanks for the information. Hillsboro is a bit of a trek, but I will have to try and check it out one of these days.. Thanks again for that information. Once i had the name of the new store I was able to search here and read the other posts. Thanks again!

I visited Pet Shanty the other day, if you show your NJRC membership card you'll get a 10% discount.

Charlie is the boss and a very nice guy! A good place for mushrooms, leathers and fish.

Don't forget to stop at Jimmy Buff's for Italian Hotdogs!

JRod said:
Mynd,

TRI went out of business a couple of months ago. Appears to have been a problem between boyfriend and girlfriend. Boyfriend opened new store in Hillsborough (Eagle Reef System - or something like that). You can search on here to see the post about the store.

Yeah it was not Pet Shanty but another store that was on route 22 in Greenbrook where the realtionship problem happened.