• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pet Shanty - Scotch Plains

If it were closer to me maybe I'd go more often, but I have OGII, Aquatic Obsessions and Red sand all closer. Not to mention all the reefers on here who sell/share frags.

When I visited it - it seemed interesting - though back then if I recall the other areas (fresh water etc) seemed as large or larger than the salt section.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I forgot about Pet Shanty. Are they still open? I thought they were only a couple of miles north of OGII on the other side of the highway, but I haven't been there in years

Haven't been there in months. They were ok but with not too much of a selection for livestock. I am closer to Aquatic Obsessions and Tropiquarium/Ultimate Reefs, who i feel have larger more diverse livestock.

howze01

NJRC Member
I was actually there today. I've been going there for years and the owner Charlie is a great guy. Very knowledgeable and when I need that random obscure part or something I can always counton him. Like someone else said their freshwater section is much more extensive. Their salt section is a bit lacking if I'm being honest. Having said that, it's almost worth the trip just to see Steve their 2'+ leather they've had forever. They are also he only place around here that sell live Brine Shrimp.

Charlie, nice guy. I bought a bunch of Cichlids from him when I was into it. Smallish SW / coral selection, but worth the trip if you're on Rt 23 anyway ...

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Charlie, nice guy. I bought a bunch of Cichlids from him when I was into it. Smallish SW / coral selection, but worth the trip if you're on Rt 23 anyway ...

Small correction, Rt 22 not 23, west bound side right next to Bowcraft amusements.

I would stop in there all the time on my way home from work for salt, carbon, filter pads, brine shrimp and other doo-dads.

Small correction, Rt 22 not 23, west bound side right next to Bowcraft amusements.

I would stop in there all the time on my way home from work for salt, carbon, filter pads, brine shrimp and other doo-dads.

Is that bowcraft place safe? It seemed like sortof a strange place to have an amusement park type place. Just curious...(sorry for the hijack)

Charlie has always been a class act, really a very very good guy, and I can;t say enough good things about pet shanty. Howze and I used to stop there constantly after work, when it was on the way home, for freshwater odd and ends. As far as marine fish goes, they don't have much-but what they do have is sometimes unusual. I just bought a neon dotty back last night, but I've walked in there and seen a foot long Hawian blue spotted box fish (very cool by the way). Their coral selection is non existant, and charlie would do well to invest in some lighting and start selling coral. As far as fresh water is concerned, Pet Shanty is THE place. There is not another store in the state that can even come close to the selection and knowledge concerning all the freshwater stuff.