• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Petco.com

'Funny' sale - before sale price of the fish (mystery wrasse) is $93, during the sale - about $125, and with %20 discount - same $93.
So, during the sale they just mark-up pre-discount price to make you think you are saving something. But in fact, prices do remain the same. Who would like to be treated like a 'champ' ?

And items that are not available (backordered) are not marked as such. So they take an order, charge for 'overnight' delivery of live-fish. And then hold it for several days, until back-ordered item arrives (if ever). In one of the orders they actually eventually cancelled the order and told me to check with them in couple of months.
I would expect them to know what is in-stock.

My experience with petco.com in previous years (2012 and before) was very good. But I've lost my patience after several recent "we don't give a *** about customer" incidents.

Why would you want to deal with some corporate conglomerate anyway? Support your local fish store. These guys (and girls) do this because they are passionate about the hobby and are trying to make a living with their hobby. These corporations are just concerned with making money.

I've never had any luck at all with trying to special order anything through them. I don't think trying to order a tail spot blenny I really throwing them a curveball but oh well. I also feel the same with supporting local small business ,tho I have found a mixed bag of personalities at my local petco all with passion toward the hobby

Why would you want to deal with some corporate conglomerate anyway? Support your local fish store. These guys (and girls) do this because they are passionate about the hobby and are trying to make a living with their hobby. These corporations are just concerned with making money.

Good points I agree.

I'm in Staten Island. Local Petco is sad (the way they keep their saltwater fish).
Local fish store guys seem nice, but, due to demand, prices are high and interesting fish/inverts move through very fast. No guarantees also (if fish that they just delivered yesterday dies next day , your loss).

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
It'***** or miss with petco depending on the store. I've been in some that had live stock and supplies that looked great and the staff were helpful and knowledgable and then others were run by dog and cat people. The point is they don't specialize in one area of the pet industry like the local mom and pop shops do. It is what it is.

The one on Ryder's lane in Miltown, and I think the one in eatontown aren't that bad. But the one in old bridge on 9 is a cesspool. They use tap water!!!!