• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ph probe leaking gel

Over the last month I've had a lot of my SPS corals start dying. I thought it was from switching over to my calcium reactor but that's been dialed in and working perfectly 7.8 dkh consistently. Then I thought it was my phosphates being 0 and nitrates at 10 but they have always been 0. But tonight I was trying to get some air out of my calcium reactor and I noticed this gel all around the bottom of my ph probe in my reactor. It looks like whatever is inside the ph probe is leaking into my tank. My tank was thriving great growth colouration and as soon as I put the reactor on stuff just started dying maybe it was this gel contaminating my water. I pulled it out and order a new one. Here is a pick of it I wiped most of it off before the picture.20190413_212126.jpg

Over the last month I've had a lot of my SPS corals start dying. I thought it was from switching over to my calcium reactor but that's been dialed in and working perfectly 7.8 dkh consistently. Then I thought it was my phosphates being 0 and nitrates at 10 but they have always been 0. But tonight I was trying to get some air out of my calcium reactor and I noticed this gel all around the bottom of my ph probe in my reactor. It looks like whatever is inside the ph probe is leaking into my tank. My tank was thriving great growth colouration and as soon as I put the reactor on stuff just started dying maybe it was this gel contaminating my water. I pulled it out and order a new one. Here is a pick of it I wiped most of it off before the picture.View attachment 22817

Dank Mike, always something in this hobby.
Hope your tank gets back in track after you found this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Juan just going to ride it out and see how it goes. Hopefully that's what the problem is. But definitely sucks went from cutting stuff back because its grow to fast. To cutting dead coral out.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
damn, sorry to hear that Mike! I never encountered that. hoping all your corals get back on track. feel terrible since I feel like I partially influenced you to switching to a cal reactor. hopefully everything gets back on track.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Feel your pain. I had a bad bag of new IO salt. Made a fresh batch of water/salt and did a water change Thursday night. Things looks off Friday morning and tested. Didn't understand why my Alk was so high. Had left over mix in a water container from the batch. I tested that and it was off the chart in Alk too. The salinity, CA and Mg were normal. Killed all my SPS yesterday. Just ordered my normal RS Pro salt and I am sticking with that brand.