• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Phosphate Issue

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
So after transfering my 4yo reef over to the new 93 cube Iv been having to clean my glass daily. My nitrates have always been around 1ppm and phosphates undetectable on a Salifert test kit. Out of curiosity tested my water multiple times with a Hanna checker and got 1.50 every time!!!! I haven't had any algae issues in years so hadn only been running biopellets. I put some gfo in a reactor to start bringing it down but I'm shocked. My growth has slowed and I had one bonsai acro brown out on me after the move but I put that dpwn to the transfer. Now I'm obviously concerend. Thinking that disturbing my rockwork started a po4 leach. Im gonna cut all frozen food and do a few big water changes. Yikes.

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Look at Kent's phosphate sponge, it will bring it down to zero in less than 2 days, it works I've used it in the past. I normally run gfo after correcting it with the phosphate sponge.

How long has it been high? You don't want to drop it too quick if it's been a while, or you'll shock the system.

Also, frozen food doesn't have more P than other food of the same ingredients. Meaning frozen brine shrimp is the same in P content (after subtracing water content) as flake food made from brine shrimp or freeze-dried brine shrimp.

Anything dead that is hiding? I have a Hanna Pho if you want to confirm...I'm off tomorrow if you want me to stop by...

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
How long has it been high? You don't want to drop it too quick if it's been a while, or you'll shock the system.

Also, frozen food doesn't have more P than other food of the same ingredients. Meaning frozen brine shrimp is the same in P content (after subtracing water content) as flake food made from brine shrimp or freeze-dried brine shrimp.

Yeah thats my biggest concern. I'm using half the amount of recommended gfo I'll bring it down slowly over the course of a few weeks or so. I was just shocked it was that high. First test I did with the Hanna checker I assumed I screwed up. So I did it again and again. It does make sense though now I think of it. My alk and calc had been rising so I had to cut my dosing back. Po4 really stunt growth so that would explain the reduced need for dosing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk