• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Phosphate Testing - Vodka Dosing

I'm thinking about experimenting with Vodka dosing. My phosphates read 0 with my Salifert kit, but we all know that isn't very reliable.

Is there anyone that has a Phosphate Photometer they would be willing to loan out? Maybe even a Nitrate Photometer too?

I'd like to really start this and log all of my readings and procedures and make a log for everyone to follow and see.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
9supratt4 said:
I'm thinking about experimenting with Vodka dosing. My phosphates read 0 with my Salifert kit, but we all know that isn't very reliable.

Is there anyone that has a Phosphate Photometer they would be willing to loan out? Maybe even a Nitrate Photometer too?

I'd like to really start this and log all of my readings and procedures and make a log for everyone to follow and see.
Do you have any algae?(My phosphates also read 0).. I only started with the vodka after I had a outbreak but I used it in combo with phoszorb and the use RO/DI water but as many might add later... just keep i eye out for cyano bacteria blooms when using vodka

The_Codfather said:
9supratt4 said:

Do you have any algae?(My phosphates also read 0).. I only started with the vodka after I had a outbreak but I used it in combo with phoszorb and the use RO/DI water but as many might add later... just keep i eye out for cyano bacteria blooms when using vodka

I have some algae....very little. What I hope to attain with vodka dosing is a very low nutrient system. It has been shown through resarch that vodka dosing also increases coral coloration and increases coral growth. This is what I look to achieve.

It will also allow me to be able to feed the tank more without any negative effects.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
9supratt4 said:
The_Codfather said:
9supratt4 said:

I have some algae....very little. What I hope to attain with vodka dosing is a very low nutrient system. It has been shown through resarch that vodka dosing also increases coral coloration and increases coral growth. This is what I look to achieve.

It will also allow me to be able to feed the tank more without any negative effects.
Just start off low and again watch for cyano

The_Codfather said:
Just start off low and again watch for cyano

Yeah definitely!! I just really was hoping to find someone with a Phosphate Photometer so that I can really watch my parameters.

Can't help you with the Photometer, but I can report my results of a week with the Vodka.

Nearly 90% of the B/G hairy algae is gone. I had Bryopsis, and that is gone too.

I still have some film algae forming on the glass but now it takes nearly 4 days for it to become a distraction. I am suffering from a diatom bloom (brown stuck on the sand right?) but as of today even that is localized to a small area of sand.

Corals
My Kenya doesn't like what's going on, there is some retraction. The Sinulara is doing fine as are the buttons. Ricordea is also doing fine.

Hammers and Frogs are nice and thriving as are the candy canes that I got from you. Hydnophora at first wasn't puffing up like it first did. Today it imitated a puffer fish :p My Open Brain is doing fabulous.

The elkhorn is a different story. Now it could be that I pissed it off my taking a tooth brush to it and brushing off some of the dead algae that wandered on to it, and the fact that it has stayed a little less than 5 inches from my PC lights, but I think Vodka has an adverse effect on that little guy the base has a white spot on it, so something I need to monitor.

According to my API test I'm in between 15-20 with my nitrates, since it's only been a week I'm not too concerned7. This is a 16 week or so program so I'll see how far I make it before I nuke the tank.

Sounds good!!

The Elkhorn is probably rally ticked off you did that :p

I just starting my vodka dosing yesterday....I'm at .5mL now...dosed my second dose today so on Saturday I'll be at a full 1mL.

Why is your program 16 weeks?? Is it 16 weeks until you reach your maintenance dose or until you stop dosing?

Geez, I don't know. :p Just going by what's on the list. I'm sure I won't make it to 16 weeks gradually increasing the doses. I'm hoping to reach 0 nitrates in about 4 more weeks or so. It's all up to my tank I guess. Oh, and whatever coraline algae I had? Gone.

Treo360 said:
Geez, I don't know. :p Just going by what's on the list. I'm sure I won't make it to 16 weeks gradually increasing the doses. I'm hoping to reach 0 nitrates in about 4 more weeks or so. It's all up to my tank I guess. Oh, and whatever coraline algae I had? Gone.

All your coraline?? That stinks!! I'd hate to lose it all!!

Once you start dosing you can't stop, unless you wean the tank from it.

Instead, why don't you just get a good skimmer, don't overfeed, and if you have a sandbed, keep proper maintenance of it?
Ken

ken6217 said:
Instead, why don't you just get a good skimmer, don't overfeed, and if you have a sandbed, keep proper maintenance of it?
Ken

Ken...According to my research....and I've done PLENTY of it LOL....Vodka Dosing allows a very low nutrient system. Something that no skimmer can achieve. I also allows to nitrates and phosphates to be lowered without the use of Macro Algae & a refugium.

Also, because of the dosing, the nutrients are so low, then it allows you to feed your corals more with in turn create more vibrant colors, more growth and awesome polyp extension.

I just was talking to someone who has been dosing vodka for 6 months and he has only lost coraline from his glass...not his rocks...interesting.....

whitebear1020 said:
Newbie here. Could you please explain what is Vodka Dosing? What kind? How? When? I had no idea you can add vodka to your tank. ;D

First thing I will tell you is, research, research & research vodka doing before you attempt it.

Basically Vodka (it needs to be 80 proof...40% alcohol by volume...any brand), acts as an organic carbon source. This carbon source, allows the bacteria that is already in our tanks to flourish even more. This extra bacteria then eats up all of the available nutrients (aka. nitrates & phosphates) in the tank, creating a zero to very low nutrient system.

This allows incredible polyp extension from your corals, much better vibrant coloration of your corals...and gets your fish nice and tipsy...JK. It also allows you to feed your tank more so that the corals can use this food for coloration, growth, etc.

That's it in a nutshell....check out this link for tons of info on vodka dosing: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Vodka+Dosing

And keep asking questions here!! I love this stuff LOL.

Thank you for your answer and good reading.
We have tons of relatives over from Ukraine for the holidays. If I tell them that there is vodka in my tank, they will start drinking water from there ;D ;D ;D I think I will wait until after the holidays :D

whitebear1020 said:
Thank you for your answer and good reading.
We have tons of relatives over from Ukraine for the holidays. If I tell them that there is vodka in my tank, they will start drinking water from there ;D ;D ;D I think I will wait until after the holidays :D

Now that's a PARTY!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

9supratt4 is giving good advice to research this topic thoroughly.

Some swear by it, and others do not like it.

Personally I am undecided.

Since most of what you will read are the positives, I will throw in one statement just made by Steven Pro on a web chat.

His response to this topic was:

Steven Pro: I avoid carbon dosing. There is some evidence that increases in carbon spur increased bacterial populations that are detrimental in wild corals. That is what you are doing dosing vodka or any other carbon source, indiscriminately encouraging bacterial growth. What kind of bacteria are you encouraging? You have no idea. Could be Vibrio? You might get a nasty open wound on your fish or worse yet your hand.

Dave said:
9supratt4 is giving good advice to research this topic thoroughly.

Some swear by it, and others do not like it.

Personally I am undecided.

Since most of what you will read are the positives, I will throw in one statement just made by Steven Pro on a web chat.

His response to this topic was:

Steven Pro: I avoid carbon dosing. There is some evidence that increases in carbon spur increased bacterial populations that are detrimental in wild corals. That is what you are doing dosing vodka or any other carbon source, indiscriminately encouraging bacterial growth. What kind of bacteria are you encouraging? You have no idea. Could be Vibrio? You might get a nasty open wound on your fish or worse yet your hand.

Very interesting...Never heard anyone use it in that way!! I will be starting a thread on my vodka dosing to give the facts of what is and is not working in my tank for everyone to follow and learn from. Also, to use as a research tool and to ask questions. I am only on day 3 at .5mL, so there isn't much to report yet LOL>

Oh no, I know that part (Weaning off) what I meant is that I anticipate a change in my nitrates to 0 in about 4 weeks or so, by then I can then start my maintenance dosing. Also I need to specify, the Coraline loss is on the glass. My rocks still have some, and so does the my sandbed edges. Everywhere else it's gone, but like I wrote before so is all the other Algae.

Coincidentally, I felt like doing a big water change today (50%) and of course that lowered the readings to 0, I'm just wondering how big the creep up will be in a week.

I'm almost satisfied with the fact that there is no Hair/bryopsis algae growth to keep it where it's at, but the other side of me wants to see if how long for the nitrates to drop.

I got you!!

For reasons of the experiment....I will not be doing any water changes to see how and if the vodka works. It should be fun!