• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Photos of Tanks

How is everyone taking a picture of their tank? Are they using their phone or fancy camera.. maybe a different way? Or are they editing them with a nice app?

I've recently seen some very nice pictures taken and it has peeked my interest!

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
I take mine with an iPhone 8 with my blue LEDs turned down, then I bring the picture into an app called Snapseed and adjust the color until it’s where I like.

You might want to look into getting an orange gel filter to put in front of your camera, it filters out blue an makes the picture really true to life and sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick tutorial on how to use Snapseed? I was clicking around, but haven't really figured out how to take out the blue.. what settings should I be adjusting, or where should I look? I don't know nything about photography haha.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
This is what I do:

Take picture:
db39cd6f000b5eb96834db5b82029176.jpg

Bring into snapseed, go to tools, then tune image and play around with those settings until you get it where you want

White balance, brightness, contrast make the most dramatic changes

Ends looking like this [emoji4]

0708e09229eee770f64c692c73d0b1bd.jpg

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Those are different pictures?

Yeah taken at the same time with the same camera though, here’s a side by side of the same photo:

Before
ffd12c95443d547475e5552c308e398b.jpg

After
25ee634ae14e7cb762c621d9779c0ebc.jpg

Makes it way less blue, I would do it on a coral but I don’t have any that are really affected by blue saturation. Soon though :)

Thanks! I'll have to play around with it. Your before picture didn't seem that blue to begin with. The pictures I'm taking look like this.. the blue light helps their colors show.. but also just turns everything blue.. should I be taking the pictures with more white light then?

Attachments

• 20180208_234002.jpg
    20180208_234002.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Thanks! I'll have to play around with it. Your before picture didn't seem that blue to begin with. The pictures I'm taking look like this.. the blue light helps their colors show.. but also just turns everything blue.. should I be taking the pictures with more white light then?
If you have LED's, turning the blur down and the whites up will definitely help you take closer to real life pictures. I have marsaqua LEDS on my tank and run them at 100% both channels, which gives the tank an overall equivalent to 10000K-14000K T5s or halides.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk