• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Picking out UV

So I'm looking into getting a UV for my tank. It's a 40B with a 20 sump. I was looking at the 15w aqua UV advantage.

What are your opinions, tips and experience with them?

I have the same setup. Was cautious to start it but it was very easy. I have it tied to a Eheim 350 classic. The advantage Just hangs on the back.
That flow rate is low - a bit less than 200GPH if I’m not mistaken. According to BRS and the AI that rate is effective against ich and parasites more than algae.

Buyer beware on the aqua UV advantage brand. I had one and the plastic body degraded quickly and caused a small fire when it started to leak. The body of the unit literally turned into a flimsy piece of plastic (would compare to an empty water bottle). My thumb went through the body of the sterilizer when I went to moved. I called the company since it was less than 2 years old to see if this was normal, thinking maybe I had a defective unit. They stated that this was normal and called it “UV degradation.” They wanted me to send them the body of the sterilizer so they can evaluate whether or not they would replace it. They also told I had to pay for shipping in both directions. Long story short- I cut my losses, was thankful my 5 year old daughter smelled smoke at 4 am and woke me up before a real tragedy occurred, and threw the rest of sterilizer out and bought a corallife UV turbo twist.

I also have a video if you want to see how flimsy the plastic was

Attachments

• FE2E7929-5CAB-47BC-B3F8-C9A1335A5FC2.jpeg
    FE2E7929-5CAB-47BC-B3F8-C9A1335A5FC2.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 2AE0D750-767A-42F8-89FF-422C6B2C0118.jpeg
    2AE0D750-767A-42F8-89FF-422C6B2C0118.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 5
  • B484220F-1BDF-48EA-8E64-DFA3E43E62DF.jpeg
    B484220F-1BDF-48EA-8E64-DFA3E43E62DF.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 5

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
That's insane. How do you like the one you have now? How long have you had it for? (I'm mainly looking to use it to get rid of dinos)

I tried using one to rid Dinos. Granted probably wasn't strong enough and di not help IMO. I did several blackouts and last one was 7 days. Lost a few frags and 1 fish but no Dinos.
Good luck.

Knowing what happened to the last UV sterilizer, I feel more comfortable with the construction and design of the corallife. It looks and feels like it won’t just melt and break open be day.