• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pickling lime

I found some pickling lime in walmart yesterday. MRS Wages in the canning section if anyone is interested. i made a five gallon bucket last night. My question is should i just fill my ATO tank with the lime water? or should i still drip it along with the fresh ro water? My Evaporation rate is about 1.5 to 2 gal a day. Ive seen different methods of this but wanted to get others opinions. Thanks for your help!

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Austyn, I use it in my ATO. I was dripping it, but it ended up being a lot more work that way. Just be careful and monitor your ALK, as this will cause it to rise, so you will want to compensate for that and lower whatever means you are doing ALK with. I tested daily for the first week that I started with the kalk.

Austyn, I use it in my ATO. I was dripping it, but it ended up being a lot more work that way. Just be careful and monitor your ALK, as this will cause it to rise, so you will want to compensate for that and lower whatever means you are doing ALK with. I tested daily for the first week that I started with the kalk.
Thanks Darren,
i am currently using BRS 2 part. My alk is still dropping considerably on a daily basis. i plan on doing a water change today and test then fill my ATO. I used 2 TBS per gallon on the Lime mix.

falconut

NJRC Member
Just be careful using it in some of the auto top off setups. I use a float valve for my ATO and the kalk that forms in the end of the line would probably cause problems with the function of it. If it's just a line with a switch, it should be fine.

Mrs Wages worked great for me years ago. I was using it in a reactor and kept finding the maxijet impeller broken, the blades would all be missing. This happened a couple times a year. A eventually found a thread were people were discussing how the wages is more course than fish store kalk. I've switched to TLF & Seachem Kalk and haven't had any issues. If you're not using a pump to stir it, then this stuff works great, but some pumps can't handle it.

I have been prepping 5 Gal buckets and let them sit overnight. I then skim the top and syphon the liquid leaving the sediment in the bucket. so far have had no issues besides a little surface skim in my ATO tank. I have a maxi on at all times in my ATO tank to keep it moving. I think its time to get a bigger ATO tank though. 6 gal tank does not go far with my evap rate with MH.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362575331.527868.jpg
My container for my 125, it's nice cause I really don't have to stress to much. My rodi goes right to it, or I just dump 5gal buckets in.
Kurtis