• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

pipe to skimmer pump

I'm looking at purchasing a ETSS Sump Buddy 60 skimmer http://www.superskimmer.com/SumpBuddy60.htm they recommend a Iwaki 55 RLT or equivalent pump, my issue is that it seems all the larger pumps are 1 inch in and out and my sump is on a 3/4 as seen here.
233_03_04_08_7_31_16.JPG

I could run 1 inch pipe from the sump to the pump but I'd have to notch out a 2x4 support beam :-X right where the elbow is and I really don't want have to take everything offline to redrill the sump so I was considering a 3/4 to 1inch bushing on the end of the pipe leading to the pump. My question is how much will this decrease my water flow ???

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's hard to say if you'll have a problem or not. If I'm reading this right, you want to restrict the flow on the line the feeds the pump. If that's the case, you could have more than just reduced flow issues. I've always heard that a pump starved for water will cause cavitation issues but didn't really understand why so I did a little research and found THIS link. I think the Internal Recirculation part is what causes the problem.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you'd have a problem or not because I've never tried it but from what I've heard the potential exists.

I don't want to restrict flow, I'm trying to figure if I will end up restricting flow if I go with a bushing opposed to drilling a larger hole in the sump and using larger pipe.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry, I didn't mean that you *wanted* to restrict the flow. What I meant was you were referring to the side that feeds the pump. Unfortunately, I do think the bushing will restrict your infeed flow.

You might be able to go with a siphon feed over the rim of the sump using larger diameter pipe. Once you get a siphon started you can feed the the pump with more water than it needs. Of course that comes with it's own share of risks, too. It seems like the most foolproof thing to do would be to drill a larger.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If anything you'll want to upsize the suction side of the pump, not restrict it. I suggest you cap/plug the current bulkhead and drill a new hole for a larger one. I can swing buy on the way home from work and take a look at it with you. I have most of the hole saw sizes and may even have a bulkhead. If not a bulkhead, a uni-seal works great also.