• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Placement of carbon ?

I have a 29g with an AqauC Remora and an Aquafuge HOB.  I want to use carbon and wonder if it would be fine to put it in the intake of the prefilter box.  I had a Mag 350 canister before with chemipure running thru it, but to make room for the HOB fuge I removed the intake/return lines of the canister from tank.

Or.....  Would a phosban reactor be good to place the carbon in ??

Also just curious, Maxijet pumps can be run inline, no need to submerge in water right ?

Thanks
Rich

i've never seen a maxi-jet run inline. I would think that might cause a flood.

As for running carbon in a phos reactor - I would guess that would work. You sure have a lot of stuff running on this 29g. Why do you need carbon? to polish the water?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I put phosban and carbon in one reactor and they are separated by the flter pad. The phosban is on the bottom and carbon on top,otherwise the phosban may get out frm the holes on the plastic screen.

Rich,

Maxi can be run in-line. I think that's how the seaclone hob configuration does it. You can run the carbon in prefilter like you suggested. A lot of others do what Mavl666 does and run in phos reactor, either as only media or coupled with phosban. Or of course you can just fun in a filter sock or passive thru media bag.

I got the same curiousity about this as Hawk has. That is a lot of filtration and things going on for a 29G.

I only have the skimmer and the fuge. How is that alot of filtration ? As far as the carbon goes, yes to polish the water, and use in conjunction with GFO thru a reactor.

Unless I'm way off I dont't get what's excessive with what I'm doing ?

Thanks for the input guys ;)

Rich

stupid me - i have a maxi jet that is "external" for my pm kalk reactor. I haven't set it up yet so I didn't realize.

after reading this - if tight for space, I'd probably go the route mav was talking about - putting both phos and carbon granuales in the one reactor. Or if you didn't want the reactor - you could use that cannister to have both phos and carbon in there.

about the filtration - i'm a big fan of lesser = better...hence my comment. When using things like chemipure, phosban, carbon, make sure that you check the material - some are known to leech the items back when saturated.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm not sure if that is kalk residue around the impeller housing or silicone where he sealed it up.

Ok then it looks to me that the MJ can be used inline out of water from what it looks like in the video. I don't have a sump, and I really don't need the extra pump in the tank, heat plus space issues.

Hawkeye,

That is kind of what I wanted to do anway, use the reactor with both media. I took the canister out, it would be too much in my opinion. The reactor is nice and small and easy to remove the media.

Here is what I'm looking at. They have a single and the dual:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbo...UAL"-GFO-and-Carbon-Reactor/product_info.html