• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Planning new build, input appreciated

So as much as I try to resist upgrading, I'm not sure if I can do it. An ideal tank would be something like the deep blue 80g frag tank. 48x24x16. If i went custom i would probably do 44x28x16. i know trop and hidden reef have some pretty good deals on tanks and i think i'll go look at trop soon since its a lot closer.
anyone know the best place to get a deep blue tank from? or does anyone know of a good company that builds tanks around NJ? lastly, anyone know of someone who is selling a similar tank? im pretty set on it being rimless and i really want black silicone seams as well but thats not as important. im pondering whether i should go regular glass, starphire, low-iron, or acrylic. i want to set it up as a small peninsula tank where i can view from both sides so i'd like the overflow to be in one of the corners if i get a RR one. im also contemplating building one myself but i dont think i can trust myself to build something that holds 80g of water... ha
any comments, suggestions, or feedback is appreciated. i want to make sure this one gets set up right so i'll probably be on here planning it out over the next few months.

I don't know if AO is still having their sale on tanks ...check under their forum for details they were really good though.

nah those tanks are too large in volume. not to mention, im not sure if they are rimless either. i'd like to stay relatively small so i can use most of the equipment from my 40b initially until i buy more equipment. since knockout aquatics is offering 20% extra on any gift card you buy over $50, i could technically get the 80g deep blue rimless RR from them for $320. they have it on their site for $400. i'm not sure if you can use that deal on the tanks though since they are already pretty cheap. anyways knockout aquatics is like a two and half hour drive for me so...

tonyscoots84 is selling his deep blue 80 RR rimless rather cheap. however, he does not have a stand. he's in howell. i have the same tank (non rimless), so if you need help on ideal equipment or anything, give me a shout.

tonyscoots84 is selling his deep blue 80 RR rimless rather cheap. however, he does not have a stand. he's in howell. i have the same tank (non rimless), so if you need help on ideal equipment or anything, give me a shout.
i think i saw this tank on Manhattan reefs. the few issues that are holding me back with that tank is he already painted the back and there are some small scratches in the glass. he wants $250 and if i can get a brand new one for $70 more from knockout i think that will be worth the money. then i wont have to scrap the paint off and worry about scratching it more.

no they haven't specified anything really about it. there isn't any fine print or exclusions listed in the post but it says they sell them at cost on their website so i can understand if they wouldnt go for this. i'll have to give him a call or something if i decide to go this route.
and as im thinking about this more its not really 20% off, its 20% added to your card when you purchase it. so that makes it $333+tax

Seems like I'll be getting tony's old 80g this weekend. the next thing im trying to decide on is lighting. im not sure if i want to go t5-HO or LED. i've only owned LEDs and i have 3 of the 120w fixtures right now. they would work but i really wanted something else for this tank. and they aren't the same models so one has cree LEDs and is ridiculously brighter than the other two with epistars. if i go LED, i want to make sure its has the brighter LEDs. I was thinking of t5-HO because it seems like a lot of people have good results with the ATI fixture and they seem to be pretty popular. I'm worried about replacing the bulbs though.
The other thing im trying to decide is if I wanted a 48" fixture or a 36" fixture. What do you guys think for this tank? It's going to be SPS dominant and the tank is 48x24x16.
It seems like i can get an 36" ATI fixture new for around $500 with everything and $300 used. Not sure if that will cover the tank though.
If I went LED, i think i can get something from china thats $400-600, 48", and completely controllable. If i went with name-brand LEDs, it would probably be too much new because i would need two or three fixtures/pendants. im all ears, anyone have any suggestions? i'm trying my best not to spend more than $600.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
im a T5 guy.... so I say go for ATI. The bulbs will cost you more money. But..... What is the main goal of reefing? Growth baby Growth!!!!! As for the length. A "light refuge" for your occasionally softie or SPS acclimation zone is a great idea. So i would go for the 36 inch centered and have 6 inches on each side shaded to acclimate and but in lower light z&ps that always seem to show up in all reefs.

im a T5 guy.... so I say go for ATI. The bulbs will cost you more money. But..... What is the main goal of reefing? Growth baby Growth!!!!! As for the length. A "light refuge" for your occasionally softie or SPS acclimation zone is a great idea. So i would go for the 36 inch centered and have 6 inches on each side shaded to acclimate and but in lower light z&ps that always seem to show up in all reefs.
thanks for the input. i might go for that 36" fixture then in that case. i can get a used one with new bulbs for $300. it will be cheaper than LEDs initially but how often do you replace your bulbs? they are about $20 each right?

I plan on changing every 6-8 months, And i believe that is the right amt depending on the light. Check out ATI website they have a great chart on figuring out bulb combinations

http://www.atinorthamerica.com/bulbs.php

http://www.atinorthamerica.com/faq.php

do i want a dimmable one? i know with LEDs, i would want a dimmable version, but do you really need it if you can change the color of the bulbs? thats one of the main differences between a 36" ATI and a LED fixture. The 36" ATI fixtures im looking at doesnt come with any kind of programability. I know they make more expensive models with the added functionality. i dont see very many used versions of them available though.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
The beauty of the T5s and MHs. IMHO.. is that "you set it and forget it". No need to tinker or anything else. Get a timer to stagger the actinics and daylight bulbs and then let them do their thing. I really think this is why LEDs are soo troublesome. The corals are having to constantly adjust to the changing spectrum (from tinkering) instead of growing. Again my IMHO, not trying to start a turf war between LEDs and T5s

do i want a dimmable one? i know with LEDs, i would want a dimmable version, but do you really need it if you can change the color of the bulbs? thats one of the main differences between a 36" ATI and a LED fixture. The 36" ATI fixtures im looking at doesnt come with any kind of programability. I know they make more expensive models with the added functionality. i dont see very many used versions of them available though.

If you're going sps dominated then get the 48". I have the 48" 8 bulb on my tank(db80g). I could have been just fine with 6 bulbs, but I wanted the sunrise and sunset option. I agree with Edwin. 36" on this tank would have provided a nice "refuge" however I don't know how efficient the 6x39 would be for this tank. Plus you stated you want sps. Look at Tony's tank before you bought it. He had sps everywhere, and a 48" fixture. After you fully stock your tank, you will be limited on the amount of sps you can keep with a 36" fixture. You'll have to place all your sps right in the middle. At least with the 48" you can place sps on the extreme corners of the tank. If you're going with the 36", get the 8x39. This way you can cover more of your 24" wide tank. I wouldn't bother wih the dimmable version. I don't see how you can get the full use of the bulb, meaning it's lifespan, by adding stress on the gasses by dimming it. Maybe I'm wrong, but why bother risking it? +1 on plug in and forget, unless you get the hybrid, which is a pretty sweet light fixture. Sorry if I am all over the place, but IMHO, if you want an sps dominated tank, and you want unlimited placement, go with the 48" fixture. Let's face it, a 48" tank is really not that big. You'll run out of room before you even know it.

hmmmmmmmm. decisions
used 48" ATI 6(54W)--T5 aquarium light --$380. not sure about condition or if it comes with the bulbs.

new 48" chinese cree XP-E LED fixture. 36 white 10000k, 24 blue 460nm, 12 blue 453nm. completely programmable. $560 or $440 for 36".
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Li...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3f1eda1403
no mention of warranty, brand, or manufacturer which scares me a little much i think.

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/01/30/cheap-chinese-led-causes-fire/

I don't trust any of those knockoff products. Even the Jabao crap pump. My buddy's wp25 starting smoking. I rather pay a premium and not have to worry about my beautiful house catching on fire.

i agree with that too, thats why i think im leaning towards the ATI fixture. initially, its more affordable than a LED fixture for this tank too if i can get it used. even though i'll probably being using at least one jebao crap pump on this tank haha

So let me get this straight, you want t5 ( please correct me if I'm wrong) cause it's cheaper. Yet you have 6 bulbs at 20$ a pop every 6-8 months. You need to account for an expense of @ 180-200$ annually ,plus electric used (54 watts a bulb x6=324 watts). How is that cheaper either in the short term or long term? The first year alone you will spend 500$, less electric on your ATI t5 lighting. IMO that's not cheaper but more expensive. I'm not pushing LEDs but T5 are not cheaper by any means with the setup you are talking.

Yeah, t5's will cost you a lot more in the long run between replacement bulbs and added electricity. I have a 36" t5 6x39 over my 36x18x21 tank. I like it a lot but I will be selling it and going with LED's ( I am thinking about the new reef radiance ones with the controller built in. It is under $500 and will cut my electric probably in half and the 48" model I think is still under $500). They seem to have good reviews and I will save $120 a year just in bulbs.

Plus once you have your LEDs dialed in and set you are pretty much done. T5s and time tested and proven to do well but the cost to keep them running, at least in my case, is not worth the extra money shelled out on a monthly and yearly basis

My $.02. :)