• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Planning new build, input appreciated

i was never too good at chemistry. i think im going to try my best to scrub it off today and if it wont come off im just going to try my best to forget about it.

Do you guys think I can use my nwb-150 for this tank? Or should I look into upgrading? I plan on doing mostly SPS and probably having 7 or 8 fish. I haven't really looked into how many fish I can have yet. The pump that came with the skimmer is kinda loud which makes me want to upgrade that if not the whole skimmer. I think im going to get an mp40 and use that with my mp10. Im pretty sure that would be enough flow.

Do you guys think I can use my nwb-150 for this tank? Or should I look into upgrading? I plan on doing mostly SPS and probably having 7 or 8 fish. I haven't really looked into how many fish I can have yet. The pump that came with the skimmer is kinda loud which makes me want to upgrade that if not the whole skimmer. I think im going to get an mp40 and use that with my mp10. Im pretty sure that would be enough flow.

Your skimmer is fine, however if you want a new pump, get the dc pump. I'm using the DCS-150. It's the same skimmer but with the dc pump. Call coralvue, speak to Jeremy, and see if the nwb150 could be used with the DC pump. I'm using 4 mp10s on my tank. I think you'll be fine with the 49 and a 10 but you won't have much for the back wall. It's better to have more random flow for an sps tank, which is why I went with 4 mp10s vs 2 40's.

Your skimmer is fine, however if you want a new pump, get the dc pump. I'm using the DCS-150. It's the same skimmer but with the dc pump. Call coralvue, speak to Jeremy, and see if the nwb150 could be used with the DC pump. I'm using 4 mp10s on my tank. I think you'll be fine with the 49 and a 10 but you won't have much for the back wall. It's better to have more random flow for an sps tank, which is why I went with 4 mp10s vs 2 40's.
Thanks for the help. Ill look into the dc pump upgrade. I would agree that the 4 mp10s would probably be better than an mp40 but I think I'll be able to get a mp40 for around $250 used when three of the mp10s would at least run me $350-400. Also since I want to do a peninsula style tank I would really like all the powerheads to be on the one side. I'm not sure how well that will work out though once I get corals in there.

np! oh well then that would look much nicer! you should be fine with 1 mp40 and 1 mp10. i'm sure that you would agree with my opinion and put the 40 on the side without the overflow. can't wait to see the tank up and running!

alright so after cleaning and cleaning i've discovered a few more scratches that were not mentioned to me before buying it. i gave the whole tank a vinegar bath which finally got rid of the coralline, but there is still a really small amount of super glue left on the overflow which i scratched a little trying my best to remove it.
with all these things in mind ive decided to put the tank up for sale and just go buy it new if i can sell this one

Last edited by a moderator:
so i cant resist myself from upgrading once i got the ball rolling. i contacted tropiquarium and the hidden reef about the deep blue 80g. trop can get the rimless reef-ready version for $290 which is an awesome price. the hidden reef said $359.49 for RR frag tank and $306.99 for the non-drilled version. i didnt know they came without the overflow and now it has me thinking if i should just buy the standard tank and plumb the overflow myself. this way i can have the full 48 inches of viewing on both sides instead of a corner overflow blocking a few inches. what would you guys do? i want it to be a peninsula tank so i should probably do a overflow that works for that style tank. im pretty sure just the bottom pane is tempered. im not sure if i should create all that extra work for myself though. im not sure how quiet the smaller overflows are and haven't had much experience with them or any overflow. also then i have to worry about the return if i choose to plumb it myself. any ideas input is appreciated.

That might work better for a peninsula tank. Drill the tank on the side adjacent to the wall, and maybe build something to hide the drains? Or just leave it as is.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Just make sure the 80g is drillable and not all tempered glass. I know some other have run into the fact with deep blue tanks (though not in this size). I have the rimless tank and love it, so it is a very good choice. The overflow is not huge, but I understand in a penninsula style layout, it would be annoying.