• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Please share experiences with gobies

considering adding a goby for more sand cleaning....I have a conch but since raising the light levels to help coral growth the sand has been more brown with some tufts of algae now and again (especially if I’m late on a water change). I’ve got some questions-and I know there are many types so please share your experiences with whatever types you know. I looked and called around today and there are several available nearby: yellowface sleeper, diamond watchman, and yellow prawn, but I’m in no rush and can wait.

Does a goby consistently cause cloudiness in the water?

Will they drop sand on the Corals, and will this be a problem?

I’ve read where some gobies slowly starve to death as they don’t compete well for food and they deplete the pods in the sand, even with a refugium. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Best types of gobies for sand cleaning with good /entertaining activity level?

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
I've got a diamond sand sifting goby in my tank now and he's one of my favorite fish. Aways out and working to keep my sandbed clean ( which he does an amazing job of)

He never dumps sand on any coral (but I have none on the sandbed) and caused super cloudy water initially but after a week or so it stopped.

He also eats great, I feed frozen lrs daily and he devours the stuff.

Would highly recommend getting one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sand sifting gobies usually starve after a while. If you want something to stir the sand up get a pistol shrimp and watchman goby they are cool to watch and will keep the sand bed stirred.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Had a pistol shrimp and watchman combo in my big tanks.
They were fantastic, was incredible watching the interactions.
What wasn't great was the fact that they'd dig the Marinaras Trench in my tank every night while we could hear the shrimp announcing the construction by snapping (from the second floor).
If you go with the combo, which I'd recommend as far as interesting things go, put rock down first, so it sits on glass (or eggcrate). The shrimp will dig the heck out of any sand under the rocks and could shift the aquascape otherwise.

julie

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We had a pistol shrimp in our tank. He is now in our sump. Still alive and well. We caught and put him in the sump because he thought our cleaner shrimp and snails were dinner.

yellowhead jawfish gobies do not sift the sand of the tank, but do a nice job around their burrow. They are known jumpers so initially it may be wise to set up a screen. Mine was very entertaining. They tend to be shy, so it's better to add them to the tank earlier. At night mine would carefully use a shell to block the entrance of his burrow. My friends/neighbors were delighted at seeing that behavior. The only negative is any poor hermit crab or snail close enough to the burrow will be used to help reinforce the door. Eventually they can escape- but it's comical.

The larger sized gobies (blue spot) can easily move unmoored frags and larger rocks. they can also dump a lot of sand on top of frags nearby. I never had one of these types, but I know others have. Good luck!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
If you are looking for a non fish option you can always look at some nassarius snails. They live in the sandbed and come out to eat when you feed the tank.