• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Plumbing my 150

Hey everyone:

Fairly new to njreefers.org and hoping that there are more North Jersey members. I'm digressing a little but this club seems central to south Jersey centric.

I'm setting up my 150 and hopefully will be able to plumb it this Thursday/Friday.

My question about bulkheads.

My drain size is 1.5" and when I checked around it appears as if no one makes a 1.5" bulkhead for a 2 and 3/8" hole slip x slip.

The light duty bulkhead is thread on the inside and slip on the outside but the heavy duty sch 80 bulkhead is slip on the inside (flange) side and female thread on the other end.

What's also interesting is that the heavy duty hayward bulkhead I ordered from bulkreefsupply fits the 2 3/8" hole but on savko they specify 2 and 5/8 for using the heavy duty bulkhead.

Anyway I ordered both light and heavy duty.

If anyone has a preference could you please specify?

I think I'd rather go with the heavy duty drain bulkheads but am skeptical about using a 1.5" male threaded coupling on the other end and am worried about leaking. I'd rather go slip on the dry side.

Thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks.

E

Hey E...nice hour to be posting!...welcome to njrc!

Anyways I can't answer the question on the bulkheads but the club isn't purposefully centric towards central/south. I'd rather think that the members in those areas tend to be more prevalent on the boards. In fact I believe the way they set up the meetings is to purposefully have at least one meeting in each area...otherwise if it were truly centric to central/south - we'd just hold all the meetings there. Maybe the nnj folks can pip up!

Phil

Thanks for your post. Yeah I'm hoping more North Jersey members pipe up.....Just my observation on South and Central Jersey, and PA?. I'm hoping to make the meetings one month and I know you guys rotate the meetings.

I think one of the meetings was held at a frag farm in Hackensack?

Perhaps I'll drive down to one of the central jersey meetings......

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry, I can't help you on the bulkhead question either. Actually, I had no idea there were heavy duty and light duty types. I couldn't even tell you what type we have on our 180. I would think you'd want the ones with the slip fitting on the flange side, though. IMO, it would make installing and removing the standpipe a lot easier.

As an FYI, The April Meeting is in North Jersey (Bloomingdale). We are certainly not a South/Central club by design. We truly want to represent the whole state and continually push to get representation from all areas. Unfortunately, we seem to have a lot of difficulty getting members from the north to run for office or volunteer to host meetings. I'm not sure what the dynamic is there but it just seems to be the case. Anyway, hopefully you can swing by the April meeting. Bax has a beautiful tank that I know quite a few people are looking forward to seeing in person. Hopefully you'll be one of them!

Good luck with the bulkheads. Keep us posted on which ones work for you.

Rockaway (Morris County) in the tha house! We have three members up here, and some more in surrounding towns.
The bulkheads that come with regular reef ready tanks are light duty, I think schedule 40. On my big tank project I am using heavy duty (schedule 80) which are beeefier to hold heavier pipe.
I have used the regular bulkheads for years with no problems. Don't hang a lot of weight off of them (an don't smack them LOL).
One more comment: Because people in commercial aquaculture are very cheap and usually working outside, there are some really crappy bulkheads ("economy bulkheads") available, as well as gimmicks like bulkheads that let you screw an FPT fitting onto the threaded exterior part. I would steer clear of these.

I would go with the Hayward schedule 80 since it's almost impossible to crack them by over tighting the nut. The others are very easy to crack and a waste of time and money IMO. If your worried about the threads staying water tight just put a bead of silicone around the threads before you screw it together and then let it cure for 24 hrs before putting it in water.

Oh and Rockaway here as well. There are a lot of members in Morris County but for some reason we aren't as active as the guys in the Central/Southern areas. So its our own fault that the club seems skewed towards those areas.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
JohnS_323 said:
I'm not sure what the dynamic is......
Well, in addition to MR having been around for so long, I would bet that since the concentration of reefers in the north are urban centric with Manhattan, many are drawn to MR as opposed to NJRC.

Time to turn that around fellas!

Jerry/Rich T

Thanks.

Rich T: I agree. Time to turn it around..... .. I'm in Bergen county ..... How's your reefgadgets venture going?

ECFENCING said:
Perhaps I'll drive down to one of the central jersey meetings......

That would be a great idea because we've got two great sponsors here (pretty close) - Aquatic Obsessions and Red Sand.

JohnS_323 said:
I'm not sure what the dynamic is......

Maybe all that traffic on the GWB just drives ppl insane...

Seriously though I agree with RichT's comment...not to mention RC...but I was also thinking it would help if there was a sponsor up north (retail store).

Hey there E. from another Morris guy (Boonton of course). It seems like everyone up here is up their eyeballs in either childcare (like myself) or have LONG commutes (like myself) :-\I don't think I can pinpoint the answer either, I wouldn't call myself an expert though. Have you spoke with Savko about the question? Marvin is very knowledgable and helpful.

Fyi - Over the next day,I have the pleasure of sawing off a threaded peice that was gracefully glued into a bulkhead without any unions. Once this is done, I am lookng to upgrading my system

What town are you in?
Bob