• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Plumbing question now

howze01

NJRC Member
I am going to plumb the 265 tonight. I measured it all out last night and it turns out that I don't have much vertical space between the bottom of the tank and the top of the sump. Is there a drawback or problem if I have to glue the valve, quick disconnect and a 90° elbow all pretty much flush to each other? As always, thanks =)

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Shouldn't be an issue just make sure that you can get the union all the way undone. I usually try to keep the "threaded collar" on the pipe side instead of on the side with the valve or 90. Hopefully that makes sense. Not sure why I'm having a hard time explaining

howze01

NJRC Member
My only other choice is to put the quick disconnect on the horizontal run. Didn't want to do that since I would have a good amount of water running out of the pipe after disconnecting. I can't really keep the threaded side on the pipe side since there really won't be any pipe between them. The space from bulkhead to the sock holder is 14 1/4" and the 2 90°, quick disconnect and valve total 12". Was going to plumb the three pieces flush and then have the extra inch or so going in to the sock holder. Man I hate plumbing....

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "quick disconnect." I thinking you actually mean a union. If that is the case, and space is limited, put in a True Union Valve....it is the union and valve in one. Oh, and by the way, I agree with Kevin....no problem with all three close together.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "quick disconnect." I thinking you actually mean a union. If that is the case, and space is limited, put in a True Union Valve....it is the union and valve in one. Oh, and by the way, I agree with Kevin....no problem with all three close together.

+1 to union ball valve. A little more money but well worth it in tight spots.

howze01

NJRC Member
The guy I am setting it up for is a pain and I have to have it plumbed tonight. Will have to post some pics when done but the wood workers are breathing down my neck....

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
No problem Jonathan. If space is tight you can see if a "street" 90 will work instead of a regular 90 and a small piece of pipe. Won't save a ton of room but when space is tight every little bit helps

I can't really picture the situation, but I would only add to use a slip fitting for the 90, but have threaded connects on both the valve and union.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You don't need a valve from the tank to the sump, so I would recommend that you eliminate it. It will only cause problems in the long run.
That's what I was thinking too. If this is strictly from bulkhead to sock (no split offs) then I'd recommend just using a flexible hose instead of all of that.

The only reason I see a need for valve and union would be the return line, so you can remove the pump easy for maintenance. That should be a farther pipe run though and not have a space issue.